Insurance Question/ Swapped Engines

chaka

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2002
Boston, MA
I have almost completed my 460 swap. Little things here and there.

Not worried about insuring and registering it, but what happens when I get pulled over and the info the cop has says I have a 4cyl??
What about inspections? It should be emissions exempt, but I think the added cylinders will be pretty noticable.

~chaka

• Sponsors (?)

What year is the car? If its pre 84 its emissions exempt, or maybe its pre 83 I can't remember. You can still insure it as a four cylinder, but if it gets stolen, totalled, etc you will only be paid for a 4 cylinder car. You can have a stated value policy written on the car, call your agent and find out your companies policy w/ them. These are usually a few hundred dollars to have done and each year afterwards the value is reduced unless you have the car reappraised each year. There are strict rules when it comes to stated value policies so make sure your agent has a clue and gives you all the info. If it were me I would call your carrier direct adn speak to their underwriting dept. Agents have the tendency to not know all the facts like they think.

1979 so I know it is exempt from emissions. Just a little unsure on the other inspection checks. I am not to worried about the insurance value. If it gets totaled then I will salvage all that I can and junk it. Hopefully it will not get stolen.

here are the MA links for inspection regulations

http://vehicletest.state.ma.us/generalinfo.html

Below is taken from http://vehicletest.state.ma.us/depregs.doc

(b) The following motor vehicles are exempt from the emissions inspection:
1. any motor vehicle with a model year earlier than 1984;
2. any motor vehicle for 24 months from the date of registration in Massachusetts after sale or lease to the ultimate purchaser (for the sale or lease of vehicles beginning with model year 1998);
3. tactical military vehicles;
4. any motor vehicle or class of motor vehicles exempted by the Department because the vehicle or class presents prohibitive inspection problems or is inappropriate for inspection;
5. any motor vehicle operated exclusively by electric power; and
6. any motorcycle or moped.