Intake Advice?

So i've asked a lot of questions the last few weeks, with about a 2 week hiatus while i was out to sea. I did a lot of research while i was out, but haven't come to any conclusions, and i was hoping to get some help from you knowledgeable people... I'm trying to find an intake to run on the new motor, it'll be a 331, with Roush 200 heads, the compression will be about 9:5.1, and it'll have a little giggle gas on it. I've looked at the Typhoon,Edelbrock RPM,Trick Flow Street and Track Heat intake, Explorer, GT40, and the BBk SSI and SSIR, I can't figure out what will work best for me... does anyone have any suggestions, or some past expierence with any of the listed Intakes? My buddy(thats putting my motor together while i'm on deployment) says he thinks the stock intake will work, but i don't think it will. I think it'll be the weak link in my aim for 300rwhp. so i'm trying to find an intake that will flow better, does anyone have any suggestions? i'm all ears(eyes)
:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

absolutely a stock intake will be the biggest restriction. i doubt you'd get 300 rw with it

I say go with either Typhoon, Edelbrock RPM, Trick Flow Street or Track Heat. I have heard people complaining about the BBKs (but they look cool!)

with decent heads, cam and intake, you will easily make more than 300

i'm looking to get 325-350 at the wheels from my 311 when i am done

BlackVert said:
absolutely a stock intake will be the biggest restriction. i doubt you'd get 300 rw with it

I say go with either Typhoon, Edelbrock RPM, Trick Flow Street or Track Heat. I have heard people complaining about the BBKs (but they look cool!)

with decent heads, cam and intake, you will easily make more than 300

i'm looking to get 325-350 at the wheels from my 311 when i am done

Didn't you shoot me the PM about the Typhoon? which btw, i'm not blowing off, I'm just trying to get a good base on all intakes, if that makes any sense? I'm trying to get some advice about all intakes before i make a decision on one and cough up the $$$$$$$ for it.

I've got the track heat intake on my 331 setup which I don't have any complaints about at all. Though I feel like I make my power a little higher in my powerband with it over the street heat intake which should produce a bit more low end torque due to the longer intake runners. But intake choice needs to be made to compliment your cam choice. Which cam are you thinking about going with?

blkcobra50 said:
I've got the track heat intake on my 331 setup which I don't have any complaints about at all. Though I feel like I make my power a little higher in my powerband with it over the street heat intake which should produce a bit more low end torque due to the longer intake runners. But intake choice needs to be made to compliment your cam choice. Which cam are you thinking about going with?

Haven't decided on a cam, i've been out to sea for 2 weeks, so i gotta call my buddy tomorrow to talk about the build. i know we've talked about alphabet cams, thats a no go. We were looking at the TFS stage 1, but it was never set in stone. i'll get back tomorrow with a little better idea.

If the funds allow, going with a custom cam would always be the best route. In my case, the funds didn't allow, and I went with the TFS-1 cam because I knew it was matched well with the TFS heads, and I had alreay purchased the Typhoon intake. I went about my build somewhat half-assed because I had the intake before I had any other parts because I got a deal on it. The alphabet cams aren't always a bad choice, and some people do have amazing results when using them, but they do need to be matched with your combo. I'm not personally knowledgable about the flow characteristics of the Roush 200 heads to know if they'd work well together, but using one may require a tune depending on the LSA of the cam. I've heard that the 94-95 computers aren't very keen on having a LSA of less than 110° and that they may start experiencing a surging idle afterward.

You can call the companies that make the parts you have. Most have tech lines and can help you out with your particular combo. They have a vested interest in having you make their parts work. :)

I called World Products on a combo I had a few years ago. The guy had all of the details to make the heads work for me, at the power level I was trying to acheive. He had stuff like cam specs (in detail), carb size (center squirter size, even!), recommended intake, ideal compression and the like.