Intake inlet, open it up?

Joe 5.0

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2002
Macomb, MI (metro detroit)
I'm trying to save a couple bucks on my intake purchase (planned on TFS-R (non box) 90mm inlet.

However, this is nearly impossibly to find aftermarket, and if I can find the intake it is the 75mm inlet. I am getting a 90mm TB so obviously I want the 90mm inlet.

How realistic is it to bore the inlet of the intake from 75mm to 90mm?

And before anyone says omg thats too big, this is what my custom cam guy has built my setup for, and its a solid roller that will see 7k rpm, so I'll need the extra airflow. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Are the intakes the same other than the tb opening? If so, I think it should work to open it up to 90mm. Mine's been opened up to 80mm without any problems. I've thought about taking it up to 90mm, but I don't have the cash to upgrade everything to 90mm right now.

Well I called Trickflow andf the tech guy said youCANNOT open it up, as the 90mm upper has the EGR port deleted (or capped cant remember what he said), but he specifically said that you cant open it up to 90mm.

So I guess I'll have to pony up $600 for the intake. :/

I'm trying to save a couple bucks on my intake purchase (planned on TFS-R (non box) 90mm inlet.

However, this is nearly impossibly to find aftermarket, and if I can find the intake it is the 75mm inlet. I am getting a 90mm TB so obviously I want the 90mm inlet.

How realistic is it to bore the inlet of the intake from 75mm to 90mm?

And before anyone says omg thats too big, this is what my custom cam guy has built my setup for, and its a solid roller that will see 7k rpm, so I'll need the extra airflow. :)

OMFG!!!!! 90MM!!!!! You're going to lose all your torque!!!!!! You won't be able to tune!!!!!! You should switch to a 55mm from a Thunderbird and have increased velocity or your family will suffer a terrible fate!!!!!

I could not resist.:D

Did you ask an intake guru like Tom Moss?

Adam