Engine Intake Manifold Replacement 2000 Mustang GT

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by Sovang, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Sovang

Sovang New Member

My Girl's mustang is leaking coolant. I noticed that area of the thermostat housing was leaking. i further looked into it and noticed that the intake manifold was cracked where it meets the thermostat housing. The entire manifold is plastic.

When i searched for a intake manifold replacement I found some but in the thermostat housing area it is no longer plastic, is it an upgrade? Then i notice it says * does not work with pcv heated models* What does that mean?

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2000/ford/mustang/air_intake/intake_manifold.html

would that be fine for her vehicle?
  2. IIGood

IIGood Founding Member

The (plastic) intake manifolds on the pre-2003 GTs are quite well known for cracking. Ford even issued a TSB, perhaps a recall (I can't remember which exactly) for them at one point for those intakes and the replacement piece was one much like what you have linked, with the metal "crossover" up at the front. I believe around 2002, Ford started putting the replacement manifold on at the factory. But the replacements aren't entirely safe either...I have a 2003 GT that I've owned since new and it had the "upgraded" manifold on it...back in August, it cracked where the plastic meets the metal and was losing coolant too. I bought a replacement from LateModelRestoration.com:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...ang-Gt-Pi-Intake-Manifold-Requires-Lrs-10153A

Looks identical to the one you've got linked, though the one from LMR is a few bucks more and a Ford part.

Sponsored Ad

3. COramprat

COramprat Drone Driver Mod Dude

The Dorman should be OK. Are you doing the work yourself?
  4. bhuff30

bhuff30 Founding Member

There is a gasket between the plastic and metal crossover tube. This should be an easy issue to solve.

[quote="I have a 2003 GT that I've owned since new and it had the "upgraded" manifold on it...back in August, it cracked where the plastic meets the metal and was losing coolant too.[/quote]

The Dorman can be cheaper, but I don't recommend it. I have read many people state there was a loss of performance with the dorman manifold. I would buy the ford racing manifold or find a used original ford manifold. If you still perfer the dorman, you might check the rockauto website. I have had good luck buying parts from them and you get a magnet with every order. haha