Interior Front Frame Rail Rust

pyroman

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2002
Ennis, Texas
I'll try to describe this as best as I can without pictures (I'll add them later when it's not dark out). On bottom of both front frame rails there is an oval hole near the radiator core support. This leaves the inside of the front frame rails exposed to the elements. From everything I can tell my frame rails look good on the exterior but when I peer into these holes I can see a good deal of surface rust. I'm going to see if I can get a better assessment tomorrow. Is there anything I can do?

Do you have any idea what I'm talking about? :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

That's the "A" crossmember. If it's just surface rust, clean it out and paint with oil based primer or encapsulator. If it's actually rusting through, it should be replaced.

JR2185.JPG

Yeah I didn't do a very good job with my description. This is the area I'm talking about.

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

I looked and felt up in there and it doesn't seem to be too bad. Everything I could feel and see was just surface rust. It seems like the worst area is the seam between the two layers of metal.

This is the frame rail

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

How would I be able to clean and then paint in there? Spray some kind of metal cleaner and just aim a spray gun in there and hope for the best?

Surf the Eastwood Company website... they have a primer and applicator for inside frame rails to apply an encapsulator. That's about the best you can do for prevention aside from actually cutting the rail apart and treating, then rewelding... not worth the hassle. Those rails look pretty solid compared to most. Any rust-through should be cut out and replaced like the previous post stated.

KT>