Interior paint question

I'm getting ready to paint my interior. I'm going to use the rattle can paint from NPD. The existing paint on the doors and dash is in good condition, doesn't appear to have any rust or anything behind it. Do I need to strip it all down to bare metal or can I just scuff it up and spray it?

• Sponsors (?)

You are painting the metal correct? If you are talking vinyl use the prep solution (or some alchohol) first.
You should prep the metal like you would the exterior. If you are taking the time to do this I would defintely take the time to ensure it adheres properly.

Mike

I'd strip the rear interior quarter panels down if they have been painted numerous times before. There's a cool grain pattern to the metal that gets lost with multiple layers of paint. The best way to do this is with some aircraft stripper and steel wool or similar. My doors were repros so I didn't have to deal with stripping them, but frankly I'd use the same method on there too. It's not that big of a deal really. I think the NPD paint is the one with a good fan-spray nozzle and is lacquer-based, so make sure your primer is lacquer-based too. (Any primer that says "fast drying" -- 15 minutes or less -- is usually lacquer.)

Pic of factory grain after stripping and painting

Yes, sorry that wasn't clear, it is the metal.

I have had good luck with eazy-off and scotchbrite...followed by soap and water and more scotchbrite ( I use grey, not red) this keeps the texture intact, and cleans dirt, grease, etc, enough for the paint to stick. Not as aggressive as paint remover, less likely to cause collateral damage....

I'd strip the rear interior quarter panels down if they have been painted numerous times before. There's a cool grain pattern to the metal that gets lost with multiple layers of paint. The best way to do this is with some aircraft stripper and steel wool or similar. My doors were repros so I didn't have to deal with stripping them, but frankly I'd use the same method on there too. It's not that big of a deal really. I think the NPD paint is the one with a good fan-spray nozzle and is lacquer-based, so make sure your primer is lacquer-based too. (Any primer that says "fast drying" -- 15 minutes or less -- is usually lacquer.)

Pic of factory grain after stripping and painting

Make sure NPD isn't selling you a rainbow industries paint. I'm not sure if I bought it from NPD or from mustangsplus but Rainbow industries paint is nothing but trouble, its inconsistent, half of the cans are watered down too much.

Just my experience.

You are painting the metal correct? If you are talking vinyl use the prep solution (or some alchohol) first.
You should prep the metal like you would the exterior. If you are taking the time to do this I would defintely take the time to ensure it adheres properly.

Mike

I'm new to restoring but I 2nd that while the paint is pretty great on my car I bought this thing as a work in progress from another guy and I'm having to go thru alot of stuff he did and redo it.