Interior Redecorating

Justin01

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2002
Texas
I've got a green interior in my '70, and want to begin the process of moving to an all black interior. I know a lot of the pieces are nonexistant/hard to find, and the repro parts don't have a sound reccomendation to boot.....So for the items such as the trim pieces, what is the best way to change colors? Carpets, seats, dash, are covered already; but can I just sand and shoot paint on the trim pieces? Interior laquer? Vinyl staining? What is the best choice?

http://www.reenmachine.com/albums/index.php/1967_mustang_fastback/0236.jpg?action=big&size=original

I keep an eye on reenmachine's projects and see that he says the interior pieces have been refinished....but don't exactly know his methods, and they look flawless as is most of what he does. Maybe he still floats around.....Any ideas anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a green interior in my '70, and want to begin the process of moving to an all black interior. I know a lot of the pieces are nonexistant/hard to find, and the repro parts don't have a sound reccomendation to boot.....So for the items such as the trim pieces, what is the best way to change colors? Carpets, seats, dash, are covered already; but can I just sand and shoot paint on the trim pieces? Interior laquer? Vinyl staining? What is the best choice?

reenmachine: photo gallery

I keep an eye on reenmachine's projects and see that he says the interior pieces have been refinished....but don't exactly know his methods, and they look flawless as is most of what he does. Maybe he still floats around.....Any ideas anyone?

Duplicolor makes a vinyl and fabric dye in a spray can, you should be able to get it at about any autozone or napa. just makw sure everything is clean and you should be able to sparay it directly without primer...

No more than 4 coats of color and 2-3 of clear and you should be fine, from my past experience if you put to much on it just doesn't look right. Just make sure it's very clean, I used rubbing alcohol and lint free cloth.