Interior resto time

Cdaniel

Founding Member
Nov 29, 2001
Arizona
OK, the good news is my 66 Fastback is at the painters. Whoo Hoo! Now I need to restore all the bits that make up the interior. I've already got paint matched to the factory blue. I've done the dash, A pillars and the inner doors before it left for the paint shop. The rest consists of three materials I need to prep and refinish. Steel, fiberglass and plastic. The steel I've got down, but what about the other two? What are the best methods out there to prep these parts for paint?

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry I would like to help but I dont know either. I'm actually about to start interior on my 68 fastback and I was wondering the same. If anybody knows what the ideal way to do this is I know I would be very interested in hearing. Thanks for anybodys time....

Fiberglass....sand, prime & paint...

Plastic... depends on the type.

Vinyl... clean with alcohol and use vinyl dye.
Hard plastic... sand, prime & paint
ABS... I would just clean

Maybe I can be more help if I knew which pieces you were talking about. Many parts on the 66 are easier to just replace, especially if they have the chrome trim on them.

I can weigh in on the plastic, I have had good experience just washing the plastic parts in warm dish washing soap and scrubbing with a mild scotchbrite pad. After rinsing with water and letting dry, spray this plastic primer someone recommended it is called "Bulldog" or something like that. This stuff really helped get the new paint to stick well. :nice:

What plastic are you planning on painting?

There's only a few things I can think of:
Console and steering wheel are both hard palstic that will not paint well for wear. Dash pad, a-pillar pads, arm rests are all vinyl and should be dyed.

Thanks all!

The parts in question are all the jigsaw puzzle pieces that make up the rear seat area. It's all fiberglass with steel trim. The two big quarter pieces have the vinyl grain embosssed into them, so I'm worried about sanding too much and removing it.

The only plastic I have to deal with is the console. It's from another car and I have to change the color. Is it ABS or some form of styrene? I'll be on the hunt for some plastic primer.

Has anyone ever recreated the felt/flocked texture on the walls behind the console door?

One thing I forgot to mention was if you have to sand any of the grain on the panels there is a way to restore it. Start by laying down a coat of primer or paint then after it starts to dry to the touch, use a piece of scotchbrite and dab it on the surface. The paint should be soft enough to take the impression of the scotchbrite, then if needed apply another coat and do this again, it works good and is hard to notice the area because it blends well.

As for the console texture, there is a powder that is used to get this look. I have seen it for sale occasionally on ebay but have not ever used it.

I used plastic paint on my center console and other smaller trim peices seemed to work good. I was wondering if anyone knows how to fill in the chips and scrapes that happen to the plastic over the years, it makes it looks like crap but im not sure how to even them out or fill them in.

Jim

Clark said:
One thing I forgot to mention was if you have to sand any of the grain on the panels there is a way to restore it. Start by laying down a coat of primer or paint then after it starts to dry to the touch, use a piece of scotchbrite and dab it on the surface. The paint should be soft enough to take the impression of the scotchbrite, then if needed apply another coat and do this again, it works good and is hard to notice the area because it blends well.

As for the console texture, there is a powder that is used to get this look. I have seen it for sale occasionally on ebay but have not ever used it.

Thanks for that tip on the scotch brite. My quarter panels do have some scuffs and scratches that could use a little help. I'll give it a shot.