Is a Cobra intake too restrictive?

I'm doing a mild H/C/I using Thumper ported E7s, TFS 1 cam, 70mm TB, 73mm Maf, and 24lb injectors. I personally think that the Cobra intake I have would be just fine, but someone told me today (someone who I trust and who knows these cars extremely well) that Cobra intakes are junk and that it would restrict the airflow on this setup. What do guys think?
Thanks,
Dave

• Sponsors (?)

No. The restriction is on the bottom. The lower intake and heads are the restrictions, If you port the upper intake you will gain 1 hp (LMAO) pointless. send your lower intake to Tmoss and have it ported, I recommend thumper for the heads if you are on a budget. COBRA intake is just fine.

but someone told me today ... who knows these cars extremely well... that Cobra intakes are junk and that it would restrict the airflow on this setup.

The guy obviously doesn't know these cars extremely well. For a mild setup like yours, the Cobra is probably one of the best choices you can make. Do some reading here for some correct information.

Porting isn't cheap if you don't have the proper tools at your disposal.

No ****, and not to mention that its IMPOSSIBLE to educate yourself without listening to experts....

Unless you have your own dyno and 3 days to dyno test all the intakes you are considering.....

Unless he meant "educate yourself" to mean listening to anonymous "experts" on internet message forums?? :rlaugh:

I'd rather send my intake to Tmoss and pay him to port it and have all that experience from previous intakes put into the port job done on it.

I have no prob do it myself...but he's done hundreds and knows what works and what doesn't.

What does he charge to do a Cobra lower anyway? I should rip mine off and send it to him while the car is sitting.

I think what they were trying to say was porting a lower intake isnt all that difficult as it differs from things like heads as you have much less to worry about. Not going to tap into the water pathways and what not. I ported my own cobra with about 7 dollars invested. I already had the dremel tool as most do. Very easy work. IIRC an extremely helpful website is diyporting.com check it out and filter who actually is educated about doing this type of work. Either way I dont think you could go wrong, but as a car guys looking for speed you dont strike me as someone not willing to take a risk. Try porting your lower and be proud of building your car :)

that's the same setup i'm running except i'm running an afm n-41 cam and 65mm tb. no, the intake is not too restrictive at all. i actually emailed tmoss about getting my lower ported and he actually recommended against it. he said the gains wouldn't justify the costs. these heads flow 218cfm at .500 lift and the cobra intake flows about 210cfm. near perfect match as they are.