Is it possible to run a 1 inch phenolic spacer and 1/2 spacer for clearance???

monte87

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2001
new york
Guys-

Has anyone ran a 1 inch Phenolic spacer combined with a 1/2 phenolic spacer?? Is there any side affects of creating a longer runner???

Reason- I have a GT40 Tubular intake & currently have a 1 inch spacer now on the set up and im looking to run FMS 3 3/4 valve covers and im encountering PCV clearance issues as well as Transmission/Throttle bracket clearance. The PCV, i have to re-route a different port, BUT- The bracket is the PITA!!!! I figure-If i raise the intake another 1/2 inch adding the new spacer, problems solved. has anyone ever did this???

All theories, thoughts, ideas are welcome!
Many Thanks Anthony

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 2 1/2 inch cervini mach 1 hood, so i got clearance.........
and Im gonna be running Rocker arm stud girdle, so i have major valvetrain clearance, hence the need for the taller V/C's.......

I ran a 1 in spacer on a GT40 intake and used the Ford Racing "4 valve covers. to get the throttle cable bracket to clear I enlongated the bracket mount bolt holes so I could raise the bracket a little higher on to where it bolts to the EGR spacer and it cleared just fine. I could snap a pic of what I did and post it if that would help.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY LARRY, :)
WERE THE VALVE COVERS FORD RACING (NON EFI) 3 3/4's? and were you running a TUBULAR GT40? Please hit me back ASAP!
THanks Ant

I ran a 1 in spacer on a GT40 intake and used the Ford Racing "4 valve covers. to get the throttle cable bracket to clear I enlongated the bracket mount bolt holes so I could raise the bracket a little higher on to where it bolts to the EGR spacer and it cleared just fine. I could snap a pic of what I did and post it if that would help.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY LARRY, :)
WERE THE VALVE COVERS FORD RACING (NON EFI) 3 3/4's? and were you running a TUBULAR GT40? Please hit me back ASAP!
THanks Ant
Yes it was the tubular GT40, and Those Ford Racing Valve covers were the "tall" NON-EFI type. At first I had the PVC going from the lower intake into the upper like you would with a GT 40 or stock intake set up and had the PVC/Oil filler hole on the valve cover plugged off.

Then later I installed a PVC into the valve cover and had it going into the upper intake. I left the PVC valve that was on the lower intake there and capped it off. Either way worked just fine.

One thing to note is you have to have a baffle where the PVC Valve goes into the valve cover or you will suck oil right into your intake like I found out with set of Trick Flow valve covers I put on later.

Now I am running a Trick Flow Street Heat Intake and have the Ford Racing EFI valve covers on my motor now and back to the stock type PVC application as I originally ran with the other valve covers.

Larry, Can you take a pic my friend just to see how much it needed to be elongated as well. That would be FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

Thanks again, Ant
here is one I can snap another with the bolts removed also if this pic does not help. Good Luck!!
002.JPG

Hi Larry, Thanks for the help, pics and everything! It was a great help to me!
One thing though, Im sortve lost on your PCV set up! Right now, I am currently running an oil separator on my stock PCV set up. and it goes from PCV valve to separator to Upper Plenum in the stock location, (which would be the underside of driverside back plenum) Im running a 90 degree brass fitting and it clears on the shorter EFI v/c'c. But When i add the Tall V/C's, i have to remove this fitting due to clearance issues and plug it with a brass plug fitting. And then running the PCV hose coming from separator to the front vacuum port of the plenum,actually the spot opposite the stock vacuum tree on the underside of the plenum. Are you follwing me? Do you think running it to this spot would cause for concern? Because the FORD engineers mustve thought the original stock PCV vacuum location on the plenum was perfect, But running tall V/C's and GT40-i have to make it work, its not ideal... Just wondering if running it to that location would be a problem... What are your thoughts????

Thanks for the pic, if you can take another w/o bolt, would be ideal!

P.S. Im currently running yoru V/C's now the EFI Ford racing finned.....

Yes it was the tubular GT40, and Those Ford Racing Valve covers were the "tall" NON-EFI type. At first I had the PVC going from the lower intake into the upper like you would with a GT 40 or stock intake set up and had the PVC/Oil filler hole on the valve cover plugged off.

Then later I installed a PVC into the valve cover and had it going into the upper intake. I left the PVC valve that was on the lower intake there and capped it off. Either way worked just fine.

One thing to note is you have to have a baffle where the PVC Valve goes into the valve cover or you will suck oil right into your intake like I found out with set of Trick Flow valve covers I put on later.

Now I am running a Trick Flow Street Heat Intake and have the Ford Racing EFI valve covers on my motor now and back to the stock type PVC application as I originally ran with the other valve covers.

One thing though, Im sortve lost on your PCV set up! Right now, I am currently running an oil separator on my stock PCV set up. and it goes from PCV valve to separator to Upper Plenum in the stock location, (which would be the underside of driverside back plenum) Im running a 90 degree brass fitting and it clears on the shorter EFI v/c'c. But When i add the Tall V/C's, i have to remove this fitting due to clearance issues and plug it with a brass plug fitting. And then running the PCV hose coming from separator to the front vacuum port of the plenum,actually the spot opposite the stock vacuum tree on the underside of the plenum. Are you follwing me? Do you think running it to this spot would cause for concern? Because the FORD engineers mustve thought the original stock PCV vacuum location on the plenum was perfect, But running tall V/C's and GT40-i have to make it work, its not ideal... Just wondering if running it to that location would be a problem... What are your thoughts????

Thanks for the pic, if you can take another w/o bolt, would be ideal!

When I had the PVC on the valve cover I had it connected to one of the vaccume ports on the front side as you do now. I think as long as it is going to some vaccume port on the upper intake front or rear, it would work the same.

Thanks for the pic, if you can take another w/o bolt, would be ideal!Here is another to show how I enlogated the bolt holes. Also I should mention I did grind some of the bottom of the bracket off too.
005.JPG

Thanks LARRY!!!!!!!!!!!!! You rock bro!
Anthony

P.S> When you had the throttle bracket raised while having the tall v/c'ers on, Did you have any "binding" problems with throttle cable, Tranny or cruise control???