Is it worth it? $500 for an 88 turbo coupe

4turboho

Jan 31, 2009
i have a chance to buy an 88 turbo coupe for $500 and it has 168k it wouldnt start up today but i dont really car im going to rebuild the entire thing. he says the rear has 373 locker?(stock) i thought the came with 355 locker posi? so i can pay 5 for the whole car or 250 for the motor plus the comp.....do i really need anything else beside the motor and the comp to do the swap to a 91?.....and will the rear end bolt up with no mods, and do i have to change the entire master cylinder out too? What do you think?///has no intercooler either :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

That's a pretty good price...if it has a 3.73 rearend then it has an automatic transmission.

The rearend will bolt in, you wouldn't have to do anything with the master cylinder although I've been told the mustang's 3/16" factory brake line running to the rear is not ideal for rear disc brakes.

That's a pretty good price...if it has a 3.73 rearend then it has an automatic transmission.

The rearend will bolt in, you wouldn't have to do anything with the master cylinder although I've been told the mustang's 3/16" factory brake line running to the rear is not ideal for rear disc brakes.

but it will work for now with no problems?

Hell yeah buy it!!!

For $500 bucks, if you don't want it, I'll buy it. LOL. Too bad it's an automatic, but I can change that quick. The stock TC top mount intercooler isn't the best anyway. Get a front mount.
Good computer = $75
Engine = $250 to $350 (possibly still has the turbo)
Disc Brake Rear= $250 to $350
You can sell the rest of the parts to make up some of the cost.
Kind of a no brainer to me.

For $500 bucks, if you don't want it, I'll buy it. LOL. Too bad it's an automatic, but I can change that quick. The stock TC top mount intercooler isn't the best anyway. Get a front mount.
Good computer = $75
Engine = $250 to $350 (possibly still has the turbo)
Disc Brake Rear= $250 to $350
You can sell the rest of the parts to make up some of the cost.
Kind of a no brainer to me.

i bought it last night and im pulling the motor and tranny tomorrow and ill pull the rear diff when the junk yard picks the car up the following day :nice:

It should...

BTW make sure you read one of the online articles about swapping rear disc into a Fox mustang. It's kind of important.

i can already tell im going to have problems i got the whole rear loose and ready to be pulled today and it looks like one of the lines is broken so this will be a fun one :rlaugh: