is my wms intake installed right? *pics*

DCx 98GT

Founding Member
Oct 31, 2001
San Bernardino California
I bought a used wms intake last week. I installed it today and I was not sure if it is installed right. I have the high velocity kit with an 87mm Pro M. I didnt have any instructions so I just went off of what the kit looked like on wms's web site. The kit fit ok, I had a hell of a time getting that filter in the fender well. I was not sure how to bolt the pipe to the fender so I used the original bolt, and got it to work. The only problme i see is the Pro M touches the valve cover. I think I could fix the problem by rotating the Pro M. The Pro M was installed this way when I took it out of the box so I didnt touch it. The picture on wms's web site shows it installed the same way i have mine, but if you look at the stock piece the Maf is rotated towards the fender. I drove the car today and it feels strong, no engine codes and the idle is fine (stayed at 1000 for a bit until it warmed up) any ideas??

pro1.jpg

pro2.jpg

wms1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

maf

yeah thats why I got the idea. There is a second set of holes that have marks around them like they were used at one time. Also there is some rtv sealing the the pro m to the tube is that normal? I am going to drive it to work today like it is and switch it tomrrow.

Here's apicture of my WMS set up on my 96 Cobra, I also have the 87MM PRO-M and my car runs fine with it in the top position.
6031WMS_Velocity_tube_2-med.jpg

I've heard that if your MAF is rotated that way it's becasue the car didn't run right with it in the normal 12 o'clock position and that's becasue the MAF wasn't calibrated for the bend in front of it so that's why the rotation but if it was calibrated as your looks like it might be becasue it was a whole kit than it should run right with it in the top position as well. One reason that the previous owner might have bolt it together like that is he might have bought the pieces separately at different times, maybe as his finances allowed, and not have the MAF calibrated for the bend in front of it and had his car run crappy, rotating the MAF that way makes it run better.Rotate your MAF up to the 12 o'clock position and if it runs right than leave it there and you'll get your clearence between the valve cover and the MAF.

You were supposed to drill two holes in your fender to mount the WMS kit. I used to have a WMS Velocity tube and that is what the directions said to do. It isn't a big deal, just get a titanium drill bit.

About the silicone, if that wasn't there, you would have an intake leak. So yes, it is normal.