IS technology going too far?? Remote controlling animals brains!!??

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
So "scientists" are going to control birds brains to go left or right!? Oh great, now they will be used as weapons of war and terrists will strap bombs to them,,,not to mention cruelty to animals. Am I being negative or do you guys see where this will go..:nonono:

From Yahoo...

"BEIJING (Reuters) - Scientists in eastern China say they have succeeded in controlling the flight of pigeons with micro electrodes planted in their brains, state media reported on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Scientists at the Robot Engineering Technology Research Centre at Shandong University of Science and Technology said ther electrodes could command them to fly right or left or up or down, Xinhua news agency said.

"The implants stimulate different areas of the pigeon's brain according to signals sent by the scientists via computer, and force the bird to comply with their commands," Xinhua said.

"It's the first such successful experiment on a pigeon in the world," Xinhua quoted the centre's chief scientist, Su Xuecheng, as saying.

Su and his colleagues, who Xinhua said had had similar success with mice in 2005, were improving the devices used in the experiment and hoped that the technology could be put into practical use in future.

The report did not specify what practical uses the scientists saw for the remote-controlled pigeons."

• Sponsors (?)

What if all this experience leads to discovering new uses for our own brains? Or how to stimulate the areas of a human brain so that a para- or quarda- palegic can walk again? I'd kill 10,000 pigeons in a heartbeat to see one paralyzed US soldier walk again.

The unfortunate thing with scientific research is that its expensive, so scientists have to do hokie stunts like this to guarantee funding for normal research.

Adam

...and hoped that the technology could be put into practical use in future.

The report did not specify what practical uses the scientists saw for the remote-controlled pigeons."

I like how the article assumes that when they said practical use they meant in pigeons. Yeah right...

It's a crime for someone to have sex with an animal because it's animal cruelty, but don't worry, you can just cut open their skull and mind eff 'em instead. This world is messed up.

that is cruel, but im with black95gts. Anyways pigeons are annoying. lol jk. they are annoying but they shouldn't be used for that. wtf im stuck in the middle

I understand why this could possibly be of some use someday. Maybe someday we could use this to control robot limbs or something. Like if you had a robotic arm. Its possible I guess. Still making a pigeon fly left and right is kinda retarded.