is the ECU easy to take out and put back in(for send of and re-flash)...?

Blakers01GT

Master of the Clubhead
Founding Member
Sep 21, 2001
Brown Deer, WI
I wanna send of my ECU to Tim @ T&J ASAP to get my Air/Fuel adjusted, and some other things flashed. I have never messed with my actual ECU, is it easy to take out and send off and then re-install? because if it's a pain in the arse then I might have someone who knows what they are doing do it for me. Can someone shed some light on this Oh and it IS behind the passenger side kick panel, correct?

-Blake

• Sponsors (?)

it's a pain to disconnect because it has an extremely long bolt that holds the wiring harness in. but it's not hard. if you have cordless drill with bits for removing bolts, use it. and yes, it's behind the passenger side kick panel. lift up the strip on below the door first, then pull out the panel.

coolness....

Yea dude it's very easy.. you need 2 sockets (don't remember which)

1. But first remove the passenger side kicker panel. Just pull it off (notice that it overlaps the door sills)

2. you will noticed some plugs and wires.. you can ignore those but I unpluged one for easier access to EEC

3. There's a white brace that hold the EEC. It requires a small socket to remove

4. Take the EEC out of the brace and look under the EEC there will be another bolt for disconnecting the EEC

5. The bolt cannot be remove completely.. just get it loosen and then you can pull the EEC out. Easy as pie :)

Hope everything works out for you man.

I sent Tim at T&J with my recent dyno graph and the info of the car, info of my current mods, future mods, and things that I want him to do with the reflash.

Call him and talk to him.. he will tell you what to do. good luck m8

DBMSTNG said:
it's a pain to disconnect because it has an extremely long bolt that holds the wiring harness in. but it's not hard. if you have cordless drill with bits for removing bolts, use it. and yes, it's behind the passenger side kick panel. lift up the strip on below the door first, then pull out the panel.

THANKS ALOT GUYS :nice: yeah I know how to get to it, I have probably taken off those damn kick panels at least 30 times through all my car audio systems I have installed, I actually lost one of my door panels strips a while ago :rolleyes:

CottonBurnerz said:
coolness....

Yea dude it's very easy.. you need 2 sockets (don't remember which)

1. But first remove the passenger side kicker panel. Just pull it off (notice that it overlaps the door sills)

2. you will noticed some plugs and wires.. you can ignore those but I unpluged one for easier access to EEC

3. There's a white brace that hold the EEC. It requires a small socket to remove

4. Take the EEC out of the brace and look under the EEC there will be another bolt for disconnecting the EEC

5. The bolt cannot be remove completely.. just get it loosen and then you can pull the EEC out. Easy as pie :)

Hope everything works out for you man.

I sent Tim at T&J with my recent dyno graph and the info of the car, info of my current mods, future mods, and things that I want him to do with the reflash.

Call him and talk to him.. he will tell you what to do. good luck m8

SWEEET, thanks for the details, yeah I hope it works out, I let you know how it works out. Tim actually told me he can adjust my timing as well and told me to dump my timing adjuster, he said he can do it just as well and better. I'll let ya know how it works out, thanks again :nice:

Dan_Soprano said:
DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE OFF THE NEG. BATTERY CABLE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how can I forget to tell him that :doh:

GET YOUR BUTT BACK HERE AND READ THIS!!!!!

EEC is a square looking metal box thingy... here's mine when I took mine off

eec.jpg

CottonBurnerz said:
how can I forget to tell him that :doh:

GET YOUR BUTT BACK HERE AND READ THIS!!!!!

EEC is a square looking metal box thingy... here's mine when I took mine off

eec.jpg

WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT!? I JUST FRIED A WHOLE BUNCH OF STUFF AROUND MY MOTOR!! ALL MY LIGHTS ARE OUT, CAR WON'T START, WHAT THE HELL AM I GONNA DO NOW!? PLUS ALOT OF THE WIRES AROUND THE ECU ARE SMOKING :bang: :( :bang: I seriously don't know what to do, I'm just glad I'm ok....... To be continued :(

:lol: :lol: :lol: I doubt that worked but thought I would give it a try, thanks Dan, thanks guys, I'll let ya know how it works out :spot:

Mine has been out a few times. I never could get it back into the holding brackets just right, but it doesn't matter. I've never disconnected my neg. bat. terminal for removal. Guess I have been lucky.

Dan_Soprano said:
DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE OFF THE NEG. BATTERY CABLE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep.

Only other thing I feel like adding is that when your removing the computer be very careful with all the other exposed wires around it. Cut one of those and your going to have problems. :(