is this a good idea?

tannerc91gt

This last 25% is foreign territory at this point
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Indiana
Ok so I've been debating. Building a new motor for a while now and have finally decided to do it this summer. I plan to build a 347 with AFR 185s. Unfortunately the best way of coming up with the money would be to sell my 5.0 and buy a cheaper one. Mines in great condition other than a rust spot on a wheel well its a great car. I plan to buy another car for $1000 +- and use the rest of the money plus savings to build the motor. Is this a completely stupid idea?

• Sponsors (?)

Well I would never buy a POS buy I'm thinking the $1500-2k range it wouldn't be amazing but I'm more about speed than looks. Idk I guess if the circumstances were better on finding a nice inexpensive car then I'd go for it

Yea its not a good idea. You alreayd have a good foundation, just save up or go with a cheaper build. I lost my license which is why I am tearing down my car right now and rebuilding it. But when I first lost it I wanted to sell my car and do the same thing, by a roller and slowly build it. But I decided against it. First reason was because sure our cars may be WORTH a certain amount but try finding someone to pay it. I had my car on the market for a month or so for 3k and didnt even get one hit. And its not too easy to find a roller for real cheap. The way I saw it was I had a good foundation, I mine aswell part out the performance parts I have and go all out.

Like said before you are going to be spending money trying to get the car back to how you have it now.

Even if you do it and have an extra 2k to spend on the car, thats not gonna get you very far on a afr headed 347.

you may be able to by the heads, and the stroker kit and thats it. Now you gotta fix everything thats wrong with the car, and save up MORE money to get it done.

looks is not the only thing that u have to think about. i got a cheap roller and when i got a motor for it and got it running i had to replace all the rear end bushings. the guy i got it from told me he just had the rear end done. if u got a good solid car keep it.