is this Paxton worth it?

I was recently offered an original Paxton supercharger that has little use on it. He bought it over the counter in the early 70's for his 66 shelby and didn't use it but 3 months or so. It is complete including the original cast aluminum "cobra" air box. He wants $2,000 for the complete set-up. I think this is kind of steep. What do you guys think? Is there somewhere that I can still buy this (with the original looking cobra box)? This would look good on my 65 GT fastback.

• Sponsors (?)

You could buy a brand new one for that price. Time and experience has improved the Paxton (and other) superchargers.

If you're looking for an original piece, then by all means, buy it. But if all you want to do is S.C. your car, go buy a new one.

My .02 cents.

Most of the carb'd kits from the big manufacturers are over $2k... efi kits are regularly available under $2k... its all because of that damn carb box, which is something like $600 alone.

Now, if you're willing to piece a kit together and use a bonnet instead of a box, you might/should be able to put one together for less than $2k, but this does not look like a vintage setup (i.e. with the Cobra carb box). This is what I'm working on doing. I've pieced it most of it together, using a vintage Paxton SN60, a tubonetics bonnet, a Holley 650dp, vortech discharge tube, etc. I'm into it for just over $500 now, but still need a mounting kit... If you're interested in this approach, I think there are a few different distributors that are putting these kinds of kits (complete) together, but I still think they were right at $2k or more with the cost of new carb...

If you want to retain the correct Vintage Paxton look there is only one place to go. Craig Conley of Paradise Wheels owns all intellectual property rights of the original ball drive Paxtons. If you go to the commercial Paxton site there is a link to Craig for the original ball-drive blowers. Craig is the King of original Paxton blowers and can provide ..any.. single piece or and absolutely all-inclusive bolt on package. You also will not find a more knowlegable Paxton resource or a better person to deal with. Craig rebuilt the blower on my early 1966 GT350 and it is a work of art. Not only is it cosmetically perfect, it is completely mechanically rebuilt with an upgraded impeller. He supplies the original Autolite carbs or Holleys. He reworked a Holley 650 DP for me, mills the choke housing, rejects, different floats, etc, etc. Performs flawlessly and was tuned and ready to bolt on. As I recall (don't quote me), a 'every nut and bolt' kit is ~ $3k and absolutely worth every penny.

Here are a few pics of mine. Feel free to back up in the directory and look around..

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/a494...lby-Motor/__hr_/DSCN1181.jpg?ph6frCABwm8h95PT

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/a494...lby-Motor/__hr_/DSCN1218.jpg?ph6frCABQYgId3fD

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/a494...lby-Motor/__hr_/DSCN1171.jpg?ph6frCABi3IgDSDX