Is this short block any good?

ras50gt

Oct 25, 2005
Looking at this 331 short block for sale, here's what it says about it:

-Cylinder Block 5.0 Roller Cam Block-Thermal Cleaned, Shot Blasted And Mag Tested Block Is Bored And Honed With Torque Plate And Square Decked In BHJ Fixture With CBN Cutter.
-Crankshaft New Nodular Crankshaft 3.250" Stroke
Connecting Rods New 5140 Forged I-Beam Connecting Rods w/ ARP Bolts And Silicon Bronze Bushings for Full Floating Pins 5.700"
-Pistons NEW KB FHR Forged Pistons w/ 11cc Flat 4 Relief For 9.5:1 With 60cc Heads
-Bearings Clevite Rod & Main Bearings
-Piston Rings Akerly & Childs Extreme Moly Ring Set
-Cam Bearings Durabond
-Freeze Plugs & Galley Plugs Pioneer- All are installed
-Balance Digitally Balanced to 28.2 oz External Balance

What do you guys think? I was thinking of this short block and maybe a trick flow kit. Can the pistons be used with the tflow heads?(thought they had to be fly cut but not sure). I will probably stay n/a for now maybe down the line add boost, novi 1000 or standard vortech. How much hp do you think this short block could handle? The price is just right(will be a little over $1500), I know you get what you pay for so thats why I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I'm still keeping Rick in mind for building me a block. Also, I'm looking for a streetable car that will be my daily driver for the most part. Would like to make over 350 n/a.

• Sponsors (?)

It's a shop.... Can also upgrade to a forged crank for a little more. I just wanted to get some opinions on it. Not sure about the 5140 I beams and then the pistons. Not sure if i should be going with flat top or dished, etc? What I should be looking at for using the trick flow kit?

I will probably stay n/a for now maybe down the line add boost, novi 1000 or standard vortech. How much hp do you think this short block could handle? The price is just right(will be a little over $1500), I know you get what you pay for so thats why I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I'm still keeping Rick in mind for building me a block. Also, I'm looking for a streetable car that will be my daily driver for the most part. Would like to make over 350 n/a.

Here's my opinion, save your money. With a stock block, the bottom end doesn't mean crap. Any h/c/i/blower can produce enough power to split a stock shortblock.