Its ALIVE!!! sorta....

Dr_EluSivE

Founding Member
Apr 24, 2002
Central Illinois
Well today i finished up installing the radiator hose, and filled the system with coolant, reinstalled the battery and turned the key... nothing.. So i charged the battery up.. And the car started right up actually, But i have a problem..... It smokes, it smokes BAD!!!! like cant even see in front of you bad. i have no Exaust on it, so it dumps into the engine bay and there is no hood either so i cant drive it yet. It wont idle either unless i give it some gas, but it will Rev and i can hear the turbo spin.. After i shut it off and the smoke clears i can see what looks like oil spray all over the starter and ground under the turbo ex outlet, Its hot right now so i cant confirm this. could be unburnt fuel or condensation, My oil pressure is low (stock gauge). I more then likely have a leaky turbo to TB pipe since i just ghettoed something up for test purposes, but i dont think it would cause this much smoke. The compressor outlet is not oily, so i dont think its the turbo compressor side leaking oil, but its hard to tell on the exaust side. SO... Since i have a few days before i have time to mess with it again, Some advice would be nice. I probably need to do a compression test, but what else can i check? The car actually starts quite easily, but wont stay running without help (havent set timing or idle yet)
The plugs were new, and have only been run a few minutes, they are a tad wet, but dont look overly oily. Any suggestions are greatly appricated

Dr.

• Sponsors (?)

If you set timing and idle it might be easier to check some things.

As far as smoking, is it coming just out of the exhaust? Is this a rebuilt engine or straight out of the JY?

But setting that timing and idle would probably help the no idle situation.

My oil pressure read really low with the stock pressure (85 TC) sending unit as well. A mechanical guage fixed this and my OP reads in the happy range (40-60psi at 2000rpms).

Do you not even have a downpipe on there yet?

When I bought mine, the car was sitting in the driveway of the guy for a month or so.. And when I start it, there was a big black ****ing cloud behind the car, but now it's Okay, it isn't burning any oil...

If your idle problem persist after setting idle and everything, check for the intake gaskets.. That's what happened to me..

Its Blue smoke, and No i didnt touch the washer fluid. The car has no downpipe yet, still weighing costs on that. I would LOVE to time it, and set the idle, but the timing light doesnt shoot through thick blue smoke as well i as i would like. :rolleyes: I need to take care of the smoke, then i can time it. The more i look at it i almost think it has to be the turbo. The turbo sounds healthy, and has no shaft play, but if the car was burning enought oil to make that much smoke i wouldnt think it would start as good as it does. I can hold my foot on the gas a little and it smooths out and runs ok. The motor is out of a TC that had a bad tranny. I did not see it, but the guy i bought it from (dan'l on the board whom i trust) said it ran fine, so i doubt its something internal. With as much oil that i have coming out of the turbo ext outlet i would think the plugs would show more evidence if it was and internal problem. The turbo i bought on the board also, but the person i bought it from doesnt really know the history of it, so it could be bad. I think i will run a comp test and see where that gets me, if i dont see any big issues there i will remove the turbo and start it, if it doesnt smoke, then i know what the problem is. Unless i could just unhook the oil feed from the turbo and cap it off, then start it.. but i am guessing that would be a bad idea. :nono: So thats where i stand, I am open to any and all sugesstions..

Dr.

Red_LX said:
If it's smoking that bad, I'd say it's gotta be the turbo dumping oil out of the turbine seal...
another thing i noticed today, if i dont rev the car, it smokes ALOT less, but if i rev it up a bit it billows out, could be a conicidence, but it does seem that way. I cant really see whats going on outside though cause if i dont hold it down a little to idle it just dies, so i cant look for stuff while its running without help. I checked all 4 plugs again, the look a little damp, but they smell like gas and they arent sludgey so i dont think the oil is getting to the combustion chamber. It just smokes so fast though, only takes a few seconds after starting and its dumping smoke, i dont know if the exaust can heat up that fast. I am working straight till weds so i really wont have time to mess with it till then, but i guess the next thing to try is stick my old N/A manifold back on and see what it does. Ill just have to fid a way to cap the oil feed and return lines.

Dr.

stackz said:
turbo seals, she be shot.

go grab one from the turboford boards for ~100 with good seals and try again...
I agree, and it seems like the easiest thing to check. I did notice that my Adj Cam gear had slid to 13* ret, Must not have been tight. Im sure that wasnt helping the idle problem. I fixed that but havent started it again to see if it made a difference. It makes a mess when i start it up. Are there separate seals for the Turbine side and compressor side? the compressor side is oil free.

Dr.

Dr_EluSivE said:
I agree, and it seems like the easiest thing to check. I did notice that my Adj Cam gear had slid to 13* ret, Must not have been tight. Im sure that wasnt helping the idle problem. I fixed that but havent started it again to see if it made a difference. It makes a mess when i start it up. Are there separate seals for the Turbine side and compressor side? the compressor side is oil free.

Dr.

even if you bought the seals and managed to get the turbo apart, seals replaced, and back together yourself...I wouldnt trust it without getting it rebalanced. In the end it would be just as cheap to get a good used one from the boards before rebuilding one.

Alright, so i am gonna throw the old Mustang Manifold back on it, but i cant get the 02 Sensor out of the old manifold and i dont really wanna break it, So my question is this.. Do i plug in the Mustangs old 02 sensor even though they are different, or would i be better off leaving the 02 sensor unplugged. Keep in mind this is mainly for test purposes, If i can start it and it doesnt smoke, I will replace the turbo and use the new Turbocoupe sensor.

Dr.

I put the NA manifold back on and timed it to 13* It runs great!, No smoke, starts right up and seems to be a teeeny bit faster, but who knows. Pulls 20" of merc at idle, so it must have been my turbo. can Anyone reccomend a good turbo rebuilder? All the work to swap in the TC motor and i am STILL turboless :fuss: . I gotta get a good one fast!

Dr.