IT'S ALIVE!!!! video of new heads and cam

cenok is family

15 Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
Norman, Ok
well i finally "finished" with the heads and cam swap. i put some thumper heads with 1.94/1.6 valves along with some proform 1.6's i got from foxfan88 (thanks brett!), an anderson n-412 camshaft, and i put my 24#er's back on with matching 75mm pro-m maf sensor. i still gotta get her tuned in a bit....set timing and fuel pressure, and i'm flushing my cooling system as well as doing an oil change. my rockers are a tad noisy, so i'm going to have to go back in and adjust them again. and i'm sure my solenoid just dumped on me because she's being a bitch to want to try and start. also, it sounds like she's got a little bit of a surge, but when i look at my tach, it's pegged right at 800ish. i'm sure the ecu just needs to set new baselines. here in a couple weeks, i'm going to take her to a local dyno and get the a/f dialed in. anyways, without further adu, here's the vid. sorry you can't see anything, it was dark as crap.

View attachment 305790

• Sponsors (?)

well i just got done with the coolant flush...i don't know whats up but all it would take was 1 gallon of green anti-freeze and like 3/4 of a gallon of water to fill her up. it kinda scared me it only took so little, but i did a little test drive around town for about 20 mins and she wouldn't go past the "L" in "NORMAL" on the factory gauge. i'm pretty dang sure my gauge works fine and i have a brand new ect sensor. it staying that low, she's not getting out of open loop isn't she? from what i've read and researched, the ecu stays in open loop until like 171 or 172. kinda confusing me. other than that, she drove fine, i kept it below 3k. does anyone have any insight into this?

you might try jacking the car on the drivers side real high, might be some air pockets trapped. getting the rad cap the highest point really helps burping the system.

and me personally i would use the stock gauge, i'd invest in a good aftermarket gauge, that way you KNOW what temp it is.

what temp thermostat are you running?

and actually the car will go into CL, but the EEC cant employ adaptive strategy until temps are above 170 ( stock a9p/a9l etc) which can be changed with a tune (i dont even use adaptive control in my setup lol)

so the temps have no affect on CL, just the adaptive control in CL.

so if your o2s and all sensors are good, and the car runs good, chances are its getting into CL