It's Official: Pontiac GTO will return!

Reports of the GTO's death are greatly exaggerated! According to GM Vice President Bob Lutz, the Pontiac GTO will return in 2008, alongside the 2008/2009 Chevrolet Camaro. Lutz told AutoWeek at the Geneva Motor Show today that the GTO will share the Zeta architecture with the new Chevrolet Camaro and Holden Monaro. Like the last ill-fated GTO, the 2009 GTO will be engineered jointly by GM in North America and Holden in Australia. Lutz said the new GTO project was only on hold for two months, but has since been revived. Lutz also said the rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform will be used for a new Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, and an all new Buick model called the "Statesman." Lutz said a new El Camino could come by 'putting a Chevrolet face' on a Holden Ute, but that's unlikely at this time. The GTO and related programs, however, are back on "full tilt." I am happy about this, the more competition car companies have with each other the better!

Here was a pic of what the GTO was gonna be like in 1999, couldnt help but notice the resemblence of the camaro
View attachment 484975
View attachment 484976

• Sponsors (?)

GM late to the table again. A bunch of throw back cars will enter this year let alone 2009. Good work GM, this is why you lost 11 Billion in revenue.

Toyota will be the #1 auto maker in the World by the second quarter of this year. Ba-Bye GM, go copy the PT cruiser, oh wait you did with the HHR.

This looks much more credible.
112_0505_speid0101_l.jpg
112_0505_speid0102_s.jpg

http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied/112_0505_2008_pontiac_gto/

I like the 06' GTO with the LS2 with it's 400 horse, but i don't really like the fact that they drag the corvette engine to every car. You have Pontiac using it in the Trans AM, GTO, Firebird and then Chevy using it in Camaro, Corvette, probably end up in the Charger & Monte Carlo SS. Everything has to come from the corvette. but i do like the fact that they have big blocks in cars, ford should start putting 351's in some of their cars

xc_myers_06 said:
I like the 06' GTO with the LS2 with it's 400 horse, but i don't really like the fact that they drag the corvette engine to every car. You have Pontiac using it in the Trans AM, GTO, Firebird and then Chevy using it in Camaro, Corvette, probably end up in the Charger & Monte Carlo SS. Everything has to come from the corvette. but i do like the fact that they have big blocks in cars, ford should start putting 351's in some of their cars

1.) Charger is not Chevy.

2.) Trans Am / Firebird / Camaro's are no longer made (since '02 I believe). So no, they don't have the LS2.

3.) What car are you referring to that has a big block?

I hope they do bring the GTO back...but with better styling and pricing. To go along with the camaro. Competition is always a good thing.

On another note, i saw a Ford Falcon on the street the other day. Steering wheel was on the right. Anyone heard anything about this?

i think dodge is on the right track. if anyone is going to be much competition for us mustang guys, its gonna come from the challenger that dodge is supose to come out with in the next couple years. can you say 425hp 6.1L HEMI???

The funny thing is that by the time the camero & GTO hit the streets, the mustang will be close to another re-style, sales of the GM offerings will fall, and they will go back to the drawing board late again to copy the mustang for the 1000th time.

xc_myers_06 said:
The new GTO's with Dual Exhaust Haul Ass. I usually dont even try and race them anymore.