I've heard rumors that Ford will put.....

Discussion in '2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-' started by ttown, Jul 22, 2004.

1. ttown

ttown Founding Member

a "event data recorder" in their 05 Mustang. Has anyone confirmed that? If so it's going to be hard to get warranty work done when you screw up something racing and some insurance companies have been using that data against the driver in court when an accident occurs. :notnice:

if this is true one more reason I'm glad I got the Mach.
  2. RICKS

RICKS New Member

I think that the computer in your Mach already saves data. Maybe not as detailed as the new system, but they know if you over-rev, how many times, etc.etc....... I think.....
  3. ttown

ttown Founding Member

4. GM Dude

GM Dude New Member

All new GM vehicles from 1995 to present use the "Black boxes." You can disconnect them, only problem though, at least on GM vehicles, they also control the Air bags...... You disconnect them, and get into an accidnet, you won't have airbags.
  5. PoorYuppie

PoorYuppie Founding Member

I believe all Ford vehicles after 2000 have them as well.
  6. DanM

DanM Founding Member

Don't get worked up over nothing. There's a BIG difference between these "event data recorders" and a true "black box".

In the vehicles listed, all the EDR does is take a brief 'snapshot' of the vehicle condition prior to a crash. They have about a 3-4 second memory that stores things like vehicle speed, throttle position, which sensor tripped the airbag module, etc. etc..

In truth, the reason those are there is to cover the manufacturer's ass. It prevents someone from falsely accusing the vehicle of being defective.

The memory is ONLY four seconds long. It is NOT a "flight recorder". A dealership couldn't really use a 4-second clip to claim that you had been driving the car too hard, etc. etc. and deny warranty work. Not only is the data too short, but it's insufficient for that. It doesn't log EVERYTHING that's going on, like MAF, spark, blah blah. Hell I don't even think it logs engine temp. Just basics like vehicle speed and whether you have your foot on the brake or gas - info relevant to a crash.

As for insurance companies using it agianst you in an accident, well, I have two thoughts. One, if you WERE driving 120mph through and intersection, and you crash, frankly....screw you if the insurance co uses it against you. If you speed and crash, you're the one that broke the law. That's a risk we all take driving every day .. don't whine about it. And second... even with out the box, the cops can figure all that out anyway. Measure skid marks, look at the damage to the vehicles, etc... they know how fast you were going. Maybe not EXACTLY 112mph, but they can reconstruct it accurately to within say 110-120mph, and that's admissible in court anyway. All it does when the insurance co uses the recorded data is save everyone some time...
  7. SVTdriver

SVTdriver Founding Member

If you read through those cases. You find that the data was used to show most of the time. That the driver was breaking the law. If you are worried about being caught breaking the law. Don't drive a newer car. You'll likely still be caught and convicted if you kill someone. But at least it won't be your car providing evidence.
  8. 54life

54life New Member

i thought the number was 18 seconds........i could swear i heard 18 seconds
  9. 95convt

95convt New Member

Our vehicles at work use a system that records all the time but it only saves it if you get in a wreck. It saves 15 seconds before and 15 seconds after the crash.
  10. 54life

54life New Member

i was close
  11. tjredgt2000

tjredgt2000 Founding Member

Event data recorders

Although present "black boxes" in cars only record a few seconds of information the technology exists for much more detailed monitoring and it is being used in marine engines. Outboard motors have a very detailed breakend procedure and modern motors come with very clear instructions that the onboard computer is monitoring what you do during that period and if you have a problem you had better not screwed up by over revving the motor. Inboard marine motors have similar characteristics. I recently saw a new boat with twin turbocharged CAT diesels. The service technician can plug his laptop into the engine computer and read out exactly how the motor has been used since the last service visit. Having this information can provide better serivce but also has a "Big Brother" component.