JBA exhaust isues

I have a JBA axle back on my 06 GT. I cant seem to get the passenger side exhaust to line up properly, it sticks out a bit furhter than the driver side and is a bit off center in the rear valance. I've heard of some of the same issues with JBA and other axle backs and possible hanger problems from Ford but I dont know. Also they gave me U-clamps with the kit and there is a tiny leak that I cant seem to seal with those clamps. Are U-clamps a proper set up for the slip fit exhaust or should I look into band clamps? Also does anyone else have a JBA axle back with any fit issues and possible any pics so I can compare mine just incase JBA makes them to stick out a little further than other brands. Any input is appreciated...Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I have a JBA axle back on my 06 GT. I cant seem to get the passenger side exhaust to line up properly, it sticks out a bit furhter than the driver side and is a bit off center in the rear valance. I've heard of some of the same issues with JBA and other axle backs and possible hanger problems from Ford but I dont know. Also they gave me U-clamps with the kit and there is a tiny leak that I cant seem to seal with those clamps. Are U-clamps a proper set up for the slip fit exhaust or should I look into band clamps? Also does anyone else have a JBA axle back with any fit issues and possible any pics so I can compare mine just incase JBA makes them to stick out a little further than other brands. Any input is appreciated...Thanks!

I can't help you with the fitment issue, but as far as the leak around the u-clamps. I know I had the same leak and ended up tightening the **** out of the clamps. That worked alright, but still could hear a leak. I ended up getting a sleeve style clamp which worked like a champ (similar to where the mid pipe connects to the rear of the exhaust).

Thanks alot for the help, I think I will go with the band clamps once I feel like climbing back under there. Luckily I cant actually hear the exhaust leak I can just feel it so I guess its not the biggest deal but I like things done right since its a new car. Any idea about the hangers? Are there front and rear ones or are all 4 identical, thats the only thing I can think of with the fitting issue I'm having....that or JBA was just a bit off on their hanger welds.

Yeah, also now that you mention it. I had to tweak the hangars to get them to fit just right. I'm sure you could bend the hangars 'forward' towards the front of the car to get them to sit back further. Its hard to do, but very possible. Mine didn't quite line up side to side under the bumper cutouts so I stuck a broom stick inside the tip and just worked on bending it to align it. I thinking hammering/test fitting is what you need to do. How much is it sticking out?

Bend them like this:
View attachment 335326

Id say theres about a half in difference between the two. I know its not much but when your the owner it stands out like a sore thumb. Plus its not exactly centered in the valance, kinda off to the left. I think Im going to order a pypes off road h pipe, take a day over the weekend and just do the best I can with everything.

I had a problem with mine resonating from the joint and the rear hanger on the left muffler was hitting sheet metal. I cut 3/4" off the end of the hangar which solved that problem. I replaced the crappy U-bolt clamps with 1" wide band clamps but still had to "fix" stuff so they would compress the slip joint enough. I cut 3 slots longitudinally; one up from the U notch, and 2 more 120 degrees out from there (roughly). The new slots were around 1-1/8" long and as wide as the cutting wheel which was maybe 1/16" or a little more. Then I drilled a hole in the clamp so the alignment pin would have a place to go, otherwise, the pin kept the clamp from squeezing the tube. I've noticed a little difference in the way they sit but haven't "massaged" the hangers yet. They sound great compared to most mufflers, imo. I was torn between the JBA's and the Bassani's. The JBA's are quite a bit cheaper.