JBA headers don't fit! help?

red65

Apr 12, 2003
Ann Arbor, MI
I bought a set of the JBA shorty headers (their P/N 1650) for installation on a 5.0l installed in a '65 coupe. After being floored by the price, I dusted myself off and took them home from NPD.

Driver's side is OK - seems to fit fine, but the header tube from the second cylinder back on the passenger side (cylinder #6 if memory serves) hits the shock tower. It doesn't hit it by a lot - just enough to prevent the header flange from sitting flat on the head. The engine's a fresh install, so I loosened up all of the engine and motor mount bolts and, with the help of a long persuasion bar, shifted the engine around all I could. No dice - the header tube still hits the shock tower. I also tried changing the way the car was supported (it's on jack stands), thinking maybe that flex in the shock towers was the culprit. Again, no dice.

Called JBA - suggested approaches: ya can dent the car or ya can dent the header. Tough potatoes outside of that. After paying $470 for a set of headers, it makes me cringe to think of taking a torch and hammer to them, but the thought of beating the shock tower into submission isn't an attractive one either.

Any suggestions, guys? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

headers

12sec67 said:
instead of hitting the headers why don't you lift the motor 1/2" with aluminum spacers. thats what we did to my cousins 66 stang and they fit.

Great suggestion!

This is a very common issue with headers especially on the 64-66 cars...

Little dimples are the easiest way, but this spacer solution is even better...

:D For nearly $500 a set, JBA should install them for you. :shrug: And do it without any mods, beating or dents. I bought a set of FPA headers for my 68 Merc's 39o and they fit perfectly without beating, dents or mods, and they were $420 delivered. :D :D

D.Hearne said:
:D For nearly $500 a set, JBA should install them for you. :shrug: And do it without any mods, beating or dents. I bought a set of FPA headers for my 68 Merc's 39o and they fit perfectly without beating, dents or mods, and they were $420 delivered. :D :D

:hail2: My thoughts exactly... Windsor Fox sells Hedman headers for the same application. Same price for ceramic coating as JBA gets for not-great looking chrome plating. Anyone tried these? I don't mind spending a few bucks to get premium parts, but they really should be, uh, premium - like maybe even fit...

HistoricMustang said:
You start raising stuff and perhaps something will be put in a bind?

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Maybe - don't know until I try. The trans ( a '95 Cobra T-5) has a little room in the tunnel, but is as high as it can be at the shifter. My major concern with raising the engine is the upper intake - it's a Holley Systemax intake and looks scary-close to not allowing the hood to close (I haven't had the hood back on to try it yet, just eyeballed it...). I guess a cowl hood would look good if it doesn't fit :nice:

Looks like I have some experimenting to do. What headers have you had luck with Historic?

Headers

HistoricMustang said:
You start raising stuff and perhaps something will be put in a bind?

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Very True! Something to watch for this...

John Z said:
Have you checked to see if the front of the car has saged in? Will a monte carlo bar fit? JBA has an excellent reputation. I'm just wondering if it is something to do with the car. ]

This is a very common problem as well. You might have to jack up the car to get the Monte Carlo bar to fit. It may eliminate the problem but there are other factors involved too. Different mounts can raise/lower the motor slightly. Different heads can make a difference as well.

I have sold JBA for sometime now and seem to encounter this fairly often on the 65-66 platform since the towers are so close.

In my own experiences, I have never had a set of headers that fit perfect on a 65-66 car. There's always some dimpling involved. JBA included!

John Z said:
Have you checked to see if the front of the car has sagged in? Will a monte carlo bar fit? JBA has an excellent reputation. I'm just wondering if it is something to do with the car.

JBA gives a minimum shock absorber center to center dimension (33-3/4", from memory) and mine are spaced farther than the allowable min. Other than that - yea, it's a ~40 year old car - something's probably moved.

I was thinking of putting the TCP bracing across the shock towers, but I don't really want to preload it like crazy to spread the towers. I did experiment with jacking positions, jacking it from underneath the engine bay crossmember, thinking that would relax the shock towers the most. Maybe a minor improvement, but not enough... :shrug:

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll experiment this weekend. :D

You probably got the set of JBA's I returned to NPD. They didn't fit my 5.0L powered '65 w/T5-Z and stock clutch linkage. I recollect the left side didn't fit my car. I have '66 motor mounts/frame brackets. Tried Hooker Comps next and they fit fine. Collectors tuck up nicely under body. AFAIK, As long as you haven't dented or mounted them (torqued the mounting bolts), NPD will take the JBA's back.