Just bought 13" cobra brakes.They are rusted!!Please help

derek02gt

Dec 25, 2003
hey whats up guys, on friday I got some 13" cobra brakes and the second i got home their was rust all over the rotor especially the center and inside the cross drilled holes. cleaned it off as best as I could and drove around for the day. rusted again..They are Brand new Calipers,Rotors,Pads..WHY is their rust..please help!!

• Sponsors (?)

derek02gt said:
hey whats up guys, on friday I got some 13" cobra brakes and the second i got home their was rust all over the rotor especially the center and inside the cross drilled holes. cleaned it off as best as I could and drove around for the day. rusted again..They are Brand new Calipers,Rotors,Pads..WHY is their rust..please help!!
they all do that bro. Bare Steel. Mine has done that since the day it rolled off the transport. My GT was the same too.

derek02gt said:
after you drive them, then park, there shouldnt be any rust on the surface. the pad should have cleaned it off while driving. mine rust when they sit over night, especially after a lot of dew/rain.

clean (wire bruch, scotch brite and spray brake cleaner) and paint them this will stop the rust.
I painted my rotors when I did the upgrade and they look good. Any high temp spray paint will work, header paint, rotor paint 1200 to 1500 deg. F If you use the brush-on caliper paint on the rotor do not load up the area where the wheel makes contact with the rotor (they don't even want you to paint that area).
spray the cooling fin area also

pics

All i have is my camera phone for pictures right now..but you can see what im talking about..it makes the car look so ugly.

Attachments

• 09-07-05_0031.jpg
    09-07-05_0031.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 09-07-05_0032.jpg
    09-07-05_0032.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 138
Sadly, yes, that is normal. Here's what I did to my Cobra brakes. Go to an autoparts store, pick up some hi-temp brake caliper paint. I picked black. Clean off the rust, then paint them. Not too heavy of a coat, just enough to cover. And use light coats. Make sure they're dry before reinstalling them.

Cheaper than sending them off to be coated.

lol tomustang, i need to, im just a procrastinator:p those replica caps are fugly..anyways spreadman you painted the *whole* caliper or just the parts that rust? let me know as I am pissssed off..I see some brembo 13" cobra rotors that are zinc plated to prevent rusting, do these still rust?? i got the rotors from ford racing(pbr) that cost me $220..didnt want to wait for ebay but now I might be regretting that. let me know thanks.