just bought a 98 GT, making a weird noise when...

Blown93Coupe

Founding Member
Jul 16, 2002
ok i just bought a 98 GT last week. its pretty much stock except for exhaust and gears and its lowered. i noticed the other day when you nail it from a stop or even from a 2nd gear bunch it makes a weird noise somewhere from the back of the car. it almost sounds like wheel hop but thats not what its doing.
also if you speedshift it, sometimes it makes a noise like something is hitting in the back. there is no noise when just driving no matter what speed you are at. earlier i took it to about 130mph and didnt notice anything. no noise or vibration at all. im going to be driving it about 60 miles a day to and from work so i dont want any problems. i was thinking maybe something was wrong with the gears but i would think it would make some kind of noise during normal driving. any ideas on what this noise could be. it definately does not sound good.

any help would be apprectiated

thanks
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

How many miles? It's probably the bushings in the upper and lower control arms. Mine makes the same noise if you get on it in 1st and 2nd or if you take a turn fast and get the back end out of shape a little bit. New uppers and lowers are in my future.

I would call the noise a "scrunch" or "creaking" but not so much a "clunking". :rlaugh:

It could be a number of things. The first thing I would check is the pinion snubber. Its a rubber thing between the differential and the body of the car. When I lowered my car it came with a new smaller one so the car wouldn't bottom out. Maybe when you nail it the suspention flexes so much it bottoms out. Or maybe the traction lok unit in the rear end is starting to go out. Do both back tires spin when you nail it? Its really hard to say but if it gets worse I would take it to a shop so you don't end up getting stranded. Good luck!

it's good to get the car in the air and check everything back there, my first thought was the pinion snubber too when i heard it was lowered. The other thing was also said before, control arms, make sure they are all tight and you may even want to start thinking about replacing them.

tourque boxes need checked, but typically people don't have problems with them untill they start running slicks.

if it is a scrapeing noise check above the U-joints to make sure it's not rubbing the floor pan under sudden acceleration it can rise up and smack it if the car is lowered with weak busshings.

Sorry to resurect this thread, but mine also makes the funny noises you are talking about. I'm pretty sure that its a control arm bushing on the drivers side for me because it makes some noises when you make the car move when its parked. I'm sure the rubber just wore out, and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately for me, it will have to wait until I can afford aftermarket lower control arms, and new bushings for the uppers.