Just bought my first Mustang II today, have a ?

mustang2

Apr 29, 2004
NC
It's a 76 notchback, 302, auto. The ones that came out with 302's in them originally, would they have 4 or 5 lug wheels. This one has 4 lug. Just wondering if that means it was originally a 4 cyl. Also, if it was originally a 4 cyl., would it have a 9 inch rearend, or did the 302's even come out with a 9 inch. Thank you very much, very excited with my new car. Lu

• Sponsors (?)

All mustangs '74 to 83 had 4-lug wheels, regardless of engine.

No 9 inch rears in Mustang IIs. The 8" is often mistaken for a 9

8 inch rears were common in '74s with V6, and V6 and 302 cars from '75 on. Of the 15 or so stangIIs I've had, only one ('74 4 cyl) had the 6.75 rear.

Welcome to the best years of stangin' ;)

I will try and get pics of it up this weekend. It's not much to look at yet, but we will try and fix that over the next few months and maybe years. Paid $250 for it. No rust, straight body, interior so-so. Runs, needs a front seal in the trans.
Thanks for the replies on the wheel studs. Great to be part of a new group. Lu

if you're looking to upgrade to five-lugs it will be one of the easiest upgrades to do to your car, since street rods use the same front rotors and rearends, well everybody plays in those, hehe

Anyway, good luck on the car, I know you'll enjoy it, hopefully this will just be the beginning

Welcome and WOW you stole it for 250.00!! A clappped out hammered body and I mean hammered, in a yard of weeds, sold on ebay for around 200.00 Most II's in any running condition go for minumum 800.00. Highest Ive seen went for 17K. The Mustang II is becoming ULTRA rare cause they have all been crushed. Anyway welcome and post those pics! :spot: