Just raced a Supercharged Saleen

Craig Mack

Busted Buffing the Bishop
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2002
Lake Mary, FL
It was a 96-98 yellow Saleen, rims as wide or wider than my 10.5's, with tons of gauges and a LOUD blow off valve. He pulled up beside me and we started talking for a little, mainly about my '03 Cobra rims, then at about 35mph he gunned it. I downshifted into second gear (out of powerband even with the 4.10s) and he immediently put 2 1/2 cars on me. I eeked up on him in my high RPM of third gear, and we had to shut down cause of traffic. The race ended with me a couple car lengths behind him, if that. If he hadnt of gotten the jump, I firmly believe I would have stayed within 1 1/2 cars at least, maybe even tied or beaten him. We took it up to about 90mph.

I am very pleased with my Cobra right now. Traffic/His neighborhood came up, so we had to shut it down. On the U-turn, I was at about 3600rpm in first gear, and punched it. Car took off like a bat out of hell. Barked second and third gear. Some roads I can break the rear end loose without the tires squeeking, just spinning, some roads I hook up, and some I can bark the tires. In any event, my car put a huge smile on my face today.

All I have is an x-pipe, welded in flows and 4.10's. I can't wait till the steeda t/a and pullies, I bet things woulda been a lot different. Hell, I wish I woulda been in the right gear and taken off at the same time and things woulda been a lot different. I initially told him that my neighborhood was coming up adios, but a last minute decision to romp it along side of him is why I wasnt better prepared.

This was all done on a 4 lane road, with no traffic except for about a mile down the road, and the race ended when he had to make his turn, far before we came up on traffic.

God bless Cobras. I cannot imagine this thing with a supercharger...I wouldn't be able to handle that kind of power.

• Sponsors (?)

I raced a 2001 saleen last summer...supercharged s281 but it was an auto......the guy was kinda a wise ass and made the unwise statement "i wouldnt race that pig cobra in reverse".......needless to say after arguing with him for a while he finally agreed to run me with it......but also had to throw in the comment "you get one race and one race only".......obviously he thought he was going to win........i ended up beating him 3 times before he finally bowed down and admitted he had the slower car........after getting back to the parking lot he asked what was done to my car.........i told him...bone stock except for a k and n air filter and off road h pipe.........he just wouldnt believe me......and then to top it off he said i had an unfair advantage........i had 32 valves comp-ared to his supercharged 16..............what an ass......havent seen him around for a while but the week after that his brother came down with an ls1.......and thats just another story......

CT97SVT said:
I raced a 2001 saleen last summer...supercharged s281 but it was an auto......the guy was kinda a wise ass and made the unwise statement "i wouldnt race that pig cobra in reverse".......needless to say after arguing with him for a while he finally agreed to run me with it......but also had to throw in the comment "you get one race and one race only".......obviously he thought he was going to win........i ended up beating him 3 times before he finally bowed down and admitted he had the slower car........after getting back to the parking lot he asked what was done to my car.........i told him...bone stock except for a k and n air filter and off road h pipe.........he just wouldnt believe me......and then to top it off he said i had an unfair advantage........i had 32 valves comp-ared to his supercharged 16..............what an ass......havent seen him around for a while but the week after that his brother came down with an ls1.......and thats just another story......

Nice. The one I raced wasn't automatic, but still. You raced a blown 2001, and still beat him with your nearly bone stock Cobra. Way to represent! :nice: