K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit: Ford Mustang Gt; V8-4.6l; Sohc; 1996-04

• Sponsors (?)

One thing to keep in mind when comparing gains with a CAI to the stock setup, is most people who have dynoed the car before and after the CAI did not tune the a/f before and after the install. Most of the gains seen with the CAI may be attributed to a leaner a/f mixture. I'd like to see a true independent test done with the a/f the same before and after the CAI before I could for sure say that the gains were from the CAI alone.

I miss read the Dyno sheet it does say 10hp gain on a stock 99 GT, so as it's been pointed out the 27 hp was most likely from a Cobra or a forced air GT.

I have been running with the K&N and stock silencer for over 1 yr now and noticed a little improvement that seams to be in higher rpm's. But since then i have added loads of things gears, tune ect..

I was thinking about this kit, but I guess on a $ per hp I would be better off getting TB & P, and LT headers and even cams or SC of course.

thanks for all the replies, feel free to add further comments.

IMHO, a Plenum and throttle body really isn't going to yield anymore power per dollar you spent than the K&N FIPK unit will. In fact, it would probably be best to have a full induction kit, like the K&N FIPK kit to go with a nice plenum/tb combo. Thus, the gains you get from the plenum/tb combo would be a bit better with a full induction kit, rather than just a plan k&n air filter. This is just my .02 cents of course, and only felt like sharing. The choice is yours and so is the money. Do as you feel you need to.

I originally installed the K&N filter and felt nothing. Next I went with the FIPK and felt a nice SOTP improvement in torque along with a cool intake gushing, sound and the exhaust tone also changed. It was my first mod so I can't complain. I can't speak for the PI guys but it appears to make a small but noticeable difference in the NPI engines. I would buy one again especially if you want to do light mods.

It's not a dyno graph, but it all the data that shows what K&N promises, cooler air, and MORE air.

So i just received my K&N intake and I decide to do a couple of test and datalogs.

Temperature today was 55.4F and the two test were done without one hour of each other. The car used is a 2001 Mustang GT. The stock intake used had the silencer removed.

I did a IDLE log just to see what the intake temperatures are like. Engine coolant temperatures were the same.

STOCK

IAT MAX : 92F
IAT MIN : 86F
IAT AV : 89.42722266F

ECT MAX : 202F
ECT MIN : 190F
ECT AV : 195.1125098F

MAF MAX : 522GM/S
MAF MIN : 427GM/S
MAF AV : 468.1471282GM/S

K&N FIPK
IAT MAX : 112F
IAT MIN : 90F
IAT AV : 102.4705F

ECT AV : 195.8300551F

MAF MAX : 565GM/S
MAF MIN : 443GM/S
MAF AV : 489.9677419GM/S

As you can see, the IAT for the K&N is higher than the stock one for obvious reasons. The K&N is fully exposed to the engine compartement as oppsed to the stock one which has a casing around the whole filter. So when the car is not moving, K&N will have a higher IAT.

Also, MAF reading for the K&N are a more than stock(better hope so:p ).

Here's a graph of both runs at IDLE for 120 seconds
41060f55.gif

The next run is a 1 mile higway run from one exit to another. I tried to keep the same speed and driving habits so the data can be relevant.
STOCK

IAT MAX : 110F
IAT MIN : 84F
IAT AV : 91.99381F

ECT MAX : 196F
ECT AV : 191.8602F

MAF MAX : 19 910GM/S
MAF MIN : 538GM/S
MAF AV : 2376.385GM/S

K&N FIPK
IAT MAX : 104F
IAT MIN : 68F
IAT AV : 73.77699F

ECT MIN : 188F
ECT AV : 191.5991F

MAF MAX : 20 707M/S
MAF MIN : 485GM/S
MAF AV : 2511.444GM/S

Right away you see a differene of 18F in average IATs. Since the K&N filter is more exposed, air flowing through the engine bay can be sucked in by the K&N filter. The stock filter being enclosed in a plastic shell, can only suck air from a small area, close to the fender. With K&N you can get IAT as low as 68F. So, once the car is moving, K&N IAT will dramatically drop and will ahve cooler charge than stock even though it's not a cold air intake kit, jsut the fact it can be in contact with the air outside flowing through the engine bay can reduce IAT.

Here's a graph of both runs. You can see those two fine curves, those are the VSS of both runs, in MPH, so you can see the speed are very close to each other in both runs.

76294e0b.gif

Here's a 3rd gear pull on the highway atabout the same speeds. I've also calculated the RPM curve equation and VSS curve equation.

As you can see, the acceleration with K&N is slightly higher than the stock one. K&N is increasing at a rate of 30.602 RPM/Unit time as opposed to the stock which is increasing at 30.132 RPM/Unit Time.

VSS for K&N is increasing at a rate of 0.5296 MPH/Unit Time compared to the stock's rate at 0.4906 RPM/Unit Time.

The fine red and green curves are the IAT during the run.

KN_01_VS_STock_01_3rd_Gear_12258_im.gif

Hope this helps:nice:

Attachments

• 41060f55.gif
    41060f55.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 76294e0b.gif
    76294e0b.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 78
  • KN_01_VS_STock_01_3rd_Gear_12258_im.gif
    KN_01_VS_STock_01_3rd_Gear_12258_im.gif
    183.2 KB · Views: 73