Karkraft Mach 1 Shaker install. 04 Vert. GT Pics inside..

skycop216

Feb 5, 2004
I have a post about this in talk but thought some of you in this forum would be interested in this as well.

The kit is from www.karkraft.com. It is an expensive mod to do and though it is functional, (I still need to get another air filter housing or one from a Mach 1 as I do not want to cut a hole in mine.) I really did not get it for that reason. I just really love the way the Mach 1's look but I also had to have a Vert. So doing this was my compromise.

Install is pretty straight forward and only took a few minutes to do, once the hood was painted of course. The hardest part was getting it to all line up straight and even. Other then that, 4 bolts and your done! (Minus the air filter housing hole cutting).

Again, I am not trying to pose as a Mach. There is and will be NO Mach 1 badges anywhere on my car either!

So let me know what you guys think!!!

More pics can be seen here.........

4497.jpg

4498.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

:worship: Wow, Mustang envy. :nice:

How did you handle the hood? Did you get it from a Ford dealership part's department? How did you get it painted? Yourself or a "good" body shop?

Karkraft shaker..............

Thank you for all the nice compliments! This was a very expensive mod to do and I did it strictly for looks and to be different.

It's amazing how many heads turn now as a drive down the road and how many people want to now talk to me at traffic lights!

The shaker kit sells for $579 at karkraft. It's all pretty much stock oem ford parts however, I belive the rear bracket is made up by them. They also give you the air tube and a pattern to cut the hole out of your air filter housing for it.

I got the hood from a local Lincoln dealership. It ran about $379.00 (Yes, I did get a good deal on this) and I did not have to pay any shipping. To be oem you also need the mach 1 hood insulator as well as a plastic retaining ring that goes inside the hood's hole that fits around the shaker. That was about another $70.00 bucks or so. You could probably get away with cutting a hole in your original insulator or just not using one at all.

I have a friend who works for this dealership's body shop and he painted the hood for me, another $250.00. He did an awsome job by the way. The hood looks like glass and color matches perfectly! The rest of the car on the other hand looks like orange peel, lol. This will hopefully be taken care of by ford in a few weeks, (Fingers Crossed!).

So just under $1300 bucks total. Yeah I know but hey, I had to have it.....

I had looked into the CDC kit but really wanted that OEM look. I also wanted the real Mach 1 hood. I did talk to CDC and just FYI their shaker Will NOT work with the stock ford OEM hood.

I actually do like the Mach 1 hood graphics but I don't think the black on black looks that good. If I was to do it, (Probably won't) I would do them in silver and then maybee get the OEM silver bullits again.

Again, thank you for all the nice compliments.

skycop216 said:
I actually do like the Mach 1 hood graphics but I don't think the black on black looks that good. If I was to do it, (Probably won't) I would do them in silver and then maybee get the OEM silver bullits again.

Here is a pic of a silver stripe. BarryA over in the Mach 1 Registry does such custom stripes.

I kind of like the slightly wider hood stripe since it extends over to the "crease" or edge already existing in the Mach 1 hood.

attachment.php

HIGDON said:
From the looks of your car they should've made a Mach I conv. . . . . .

I, for one, was very surprised that they didn't.

I had planned that my next Mustang just had to be a convertible. Then, I saw the prototype Mach 1, and decided that my next Mustang just had to have a shaker.

I was quite disappointed when I went to buy on, to find that Ford decided to not make a Mach 1 convertible. They do make a convertible in every other Mustang model including the higher performance Cobra. I mean, the only extra part Ford would have needed to make, would be a slightly different rear seat (a non-folding convertible rear seat in the Mach 1 "comfort weave" upholstery).

So, I ended up with a GT convertible, with plans to add a shaker myself later. I just haven't gotten to that yet. The KarKraft kit seems to be the way to go, if I could only find a good place to get a hood and have it painted locally.