Kenne Bell, FTW.. Decisive Victory

• Sponsors (?)

Good for you and start saving your pennies. Kenne Bell makes a nice blower. Although personally, I don't think you could have gone wrong with either choice.

I hope you realize though, that the 2.1L is only going to make a difference over the 1.7L at the top end of the spectrum, right? If you don't plan on pushing it past the limits of your stock internals, it won't prove any more effictive at making power than the original 1.7L would.

hotmustang331 said:
Havnt heard about this! But I did hear someone saying something about a 2.1L KB...I thought it was a typo lol. But this is awsome! Definatly an upgrade lol. the KB 1.7 owners are probably mad as heck :rlaugh:

No, not really. I originally thought that would be the case when I read it
and had only had my 1.7L for a few months. But I have no plans on
going to more boost so I am extermely happy with what I have. It's
been working great now for just a tad over 2000 miles. Love that extra
power.

Gearbanger 101 said:
I hope you realize though, that the 2.1L is only going to make a difference over the 1.7L at the top end of the spectrum, right? If you don't plan on pushing it past the limits of your stock internals, it won't prove any more effictive at making power than the original 1.7L would.

It actually does. Not much more, but it does. It's just more efficient at a given boost level due to the new rotor design, which equals: 1.less heat, 2. less parasitic loss, and 3. longer durability in the end.

I think they said the difference at the same boost level between the two was only like 5HP.

san~man said:
It actually does. Not much more, but it does. It's just more efficient at a given boost level due to the new rotor design, which equals: 1.less heat, 2. less parasitic loss, and 3. longer durability in the end.

I think they said the difference at the same boost level between the two was only like 5HP.
Perhaps.....I guess only real world testing will prove it for sure. I’ll never believe anything I read in a Kenne Bell advertisement (since they’re so famous for their creative exaggerations), so I’ll have to see a few cars running them first before I pass any final judgment. Traditional big bore blowers are great for making more power at higher levels, since they're capable of moving a larger volume of air at slower blower speeds, but at the same time they tend to lose out a little down low because they're prone to leak down due to their longer sealing length in comparison to a physically smaller design. Since I don't know the specifics on their new rotor profile, I can't really make judgment on them at this point, but that's how it's been in the past with all styles of positive displacement blowers.

Second, I'd think the new rotors might add a measurable amount of rotational drag to the system because of their added weight and surface area, much like going from the previous a 1.7L to a 2.2L did. This isn’t so noticeable up top when the blowers really spinning, but down low it makes itself more apparent when “getting the show going” so to speak.

I guess we’ll just have to see what real world numbers produce, but I still don’t think the 1.7L guys should be kicking themselves too hard at this point.

Its 4999 for the 99-04 6-14 psi kit intercooled...

Ordering it tomorrow since the heads/cam plan was a disaster...

:eek:

SVT focus pump is on the way also. Im using the 9psi pulley.
Im doin the install myself. Look for pics throughout the next few weeks...

tradde said:
No, not really. I originally thought that would be the case when I read it
and had only had my 1.7L for a few months. But I have no plans on
going to more boost so I am extermely happy with what I have. It's
been working great now for just a tad over 2000 miles. Love that extra
power.

Off topic, but how is your car with the KB power and the 4.10s?

1fast03pony said:

I don't know if your interested in a used one but a guy over at modularfords upgraded to the 2.2 and is selling his 1.7 for about $3k.

1fast03pony said:

Check a couple of things with this kit before you buy it. If it comes with 36lb injectors, get the Lightning 42's. If your going with a complete rebuilt motor and want more boost, get the SCT 90mm MAF. Forget the KB Heat Exchanger because its a complete joke, look into a Gord's HE. See if the place you buy it from will do this for you before you buy it or you'll end up doing it down the road.

1fast03pony said:

Make sure you don't need an aftermarket hood. That's why I didn't go with the 2.2 originally. Hood $700 + $400-$500 Paint = :(

hotmustang331 said:
the KB 1.7 owners are probably mad as heck :rlaugh:

At first, I was a little disappointed that 1.7L owners couldn't "upgrade" their blowers. But since I'm planning on getting built in the future, I might as well save up for the 2.6L, though that will be a long while.

In the end, no matter what you get, there will always be something bigger and better in the future.

1fast03pony said:
Off topic, but how is your car with the KB power and the 4.10s?

I had 4.10s with my auto. It was fun for stoplight to stoplight action. But sucked at the track because I would run out of gear/rpm before the end of the 1/4 run.

hotmustang331 said:

Well turbos are not smog legal in CA... so out of question. KB passes smog test like a new car :lol: ( at least I passed like a charm two times already).

Now that 2.1 get me thinking... :rolleyes:
I kept the saleen heat exchanger which is twice the thickness of the KB and has 2 fans, but I have the Gords on the way :D

StratGT said:
Check a couple of things with this kit before you buy it. If it comes with 36lb injectors, get the Lightning 42's. If your going with a complete rebuilt motor and want more boost, get the SCT 90mm MAF. Forget the KB Heat Exchanger because its a complete joke, look into a Gord's HE. See if the place you buy it from will do this for you before you buy it or you'll end up doing it down the road.

Thanks for the heads up. If Im just running 9psi on a stock motor for a while, should I forget the SCT 90mm MAF? The kit does come with 36... So ill look around for some Ltng 42s. Im ordering from Kenne Bell, so I doubt theyd throw that in...Is the Gords HE that much better?

EDIT- and will the Gords HE fit a GT? I just looked it up quickly, and the results came up for 03/04 cobras.

Im anxious to pull this trigger, but I dont want to make any mistakes... nothing like sinking 5+ grand and doing it wrong/half assed