Kenne Bell Install 10 hours!!!!!!! Done!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past weekend I installed my Kenne Bell 6 psi kit. For the most part the install was straight forward. A couple of steps are not necessary ( fuel line disconnect, some grinding). Because mine was a 2001, for some reason, Ford did some different things to my block (some bosses and fuel rails) which made the install a little different than others. The install did not go w/out scares though. After working through the night (9:00pm Thurs. - 7:00am Fri.) and about another 2 hours for guage hook-ups and running the wires and boost vacuum hose real nice. The first turn of the key took place at 9:00 am Fr. I turned the key..........nothing. I am thinking "you have to be kidding me". The odometer reads all dashes, theft light flashes and the fuel pump is not powering up. All arrows point to lack of proper jumpers in computer from factory (some fords lack this, Fing ford). Well, I take the EEC back out, clean the service port terminals again (Kenne Bell stressed this like 8 times throughout the installation), plugged the chip back turned the key, odometer works, theft light not flashing, turn to start, after some spitting and sputtering......vrooooom!!!! :banana: :banana: IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE. After about another 2 hours of leak testing, and a non-boost test drive, I finally got to experience boost. HOLY SH$T. The little 4.6L is breathing fire, this thing is amazing. With an accelerometer, I have had .62 G-Force in 1st gear. This was one of my first runs. This thing will the burn the tires at a drop of the hat. The whine is awsome and the low end torque is unbelieve able. I will post some install pics later this week. As for dyno tests, I am making an appoint. today. I think I have wrote enough for now. Feel free to ask any questions. As for future installers, make sure you clean the service port on your EEC extremely well, all copper must show for chip to work. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

Dude...I am so happy to hear you got your KB installed! And thanks for the tip on cleaning the computer terminals.

My kit is being delivered by the Fed Ex guy today. I just tracked it and it is on the truck for delivery.

So, how big was the smile on your face the first time you hit boost? I can't wait to experience that!!!!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

man, i cant wait to get mine. will you have a chance to go to the track and see what she can do?
how does it pull in the higher gears?
have lots of fun, tell us more when you can :nice:

Congrats dude!

I love my little 6psi...it transformed the car from fast...into a freakin missle. I'm running 4:10s in the a$$ too and I still can't believe how much fun this car is...it surprises me everytime I drive it.

Much agreed about the blower whine when you're on it...I barely use the radio anymore. :banana: That alone is worth the price of admission.

We got 340rwhp off the kit...a 115 gain over stock...and it sure feels like it.

I popped for the "jewelry" option (aka polished)...and matched it up with a set of polished Team Breed cam covers and a Steeda CAI...so she looks as good as she goes.

So after you shock them on the street when you hit it...you need to give them some kleenex when you pop the hood. :banana:

Congrats again...looking forward to seeing your #'s.

2000BLKGT said:
Congrats dude!

I love my little 6psi...it transformed the car from fast...into a freakin missle. I'm running 4:10s in the a$$ too and I still can't believe how much fun this car is...it surprises me everytime I drive it.

Much agreed about the blower whine when you're on it...I barely use the radio anymore. :banana: That alone is worth the price of admission.

We got 340rwhp off the kit...a 115 gain over stock...and it sure feels like it.

I popped for the "jewelry" option (aka polished)...and matched it up with a set of polished Team Breed cam covers and a Steeda CAI...so she looks as good as she goes.

So after you shock them on the street when you hit it...you need to give them some kleenex when you pop the hood. :banana:

Congrats again...looking forward to seeing your #'s.

I would check vacuum on intake side. The MAC CAI caused a significant increase to the tune of around 60rwh (8 inches of vacuum) compared to the KB pipe. Its a velocity thing. Not sure about Steeda pipe. The KB pipe is the same as the 90mm maf then graduates to 75mm size. This may not be as much of an issue with smaller MAF. I would check it though. I just screwed in a vacuum connection on back of blower on inlet side. I keep it there for future use.

Laser-01-gt said:
man, i cant wait to get mine. will you have a chance to go to the track and see what she can do?
how does it pull in the higher gears?
have lots of fun, tell us more when you can :nice:

It pulls to no end. Today on the way to work, I had it in 4th, it pulled to 110 mph and didn't want to stop. I had a co-worker (ricer) and all he could say was oh my god, oh my god, I thinked he liked it. I probably won't go to the track until next year, I am not sure how much longer they will be open, plus I have to spend some time with the wife since I spent my entire 3 day weekend with my car, she understands, but I would like to keep her around. :D

2000 4.6 said:
Dude...I am so happy to hear you got your KB installed! And thanks for the tip on cleaning the computer terminals.

My kit is being delivered by the Fed Ex guy today. I just tracked it and it is on the truck for delivery.

So, how big was the smile on your face the first time you hit boost? I can't wait to experience that!!!!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I had a perma-smile for the rest of the day, and every time I get in it and startit, it comes back. I just can't beleive that I have it installed and running. The power distribution is so smooth, you don't feel the boost surge, it just keeps pulling harder and harder, on the gas til you see god then brake, is my motto.

YellowJacketGT said:
I would check vacuum on intake side. The MAC CAI caused a significant increase to the tune of around 60rwh (8 inches of vacuum) compared to the KB pipe. Its a velocity thing. Not sure about Steeda pipe. The KB pipe is the same as the 90mm maf then graduates to 75mm size. This may not be as much of an issue with smaller MAF. I would check it though. I just screwed in a vacuum connection on back of blower on inlet side. I keep it there for future use.

I'm pretty much limited by the stock MAF...went with a nice safe tune from my SCT guy...I was more than happy with the gains...and I'm feeling secure becuase the 6psi kit falls well short of the threshold on the stock bottom end.

I've seen your stats and pics though YellowJacket...and YOU are the highbar dude! :hail2:

mrpositraction said:
It pulls to no end. Today on the way to work, I had it in 4th, it pulled to 110 mph and didn't want to stop. I had a co-worker (ricer) and all he could say was oh my god, oh my god, I thinked he liked it. I probably won't go to the track until next year, I am not sure how much longer they will be open, plus I have to spend some time with the wife since I spent my entire 3 day weekend with my car, she understands, but I would like to keep her around. :D

That's exactly the way mine goes...it will just not stop pulling...it would just keep going until the thing grenaded...and when you get her on the dyno...you'll see the same thing...HP does not drop off...just keeps going up and up until you're into the redline.

The KB just plains rocks!

I suggest you take your wife for a ripp!!!!!

I'm in a similar boat...very awesome and understanding wife. :nice:

1low03gt said:
Nice :nice: .
I myself am deciding what root to go in the future,kenne bell roots style,or centrifugal.But am leaning towards roots!! :) Seeing that a lot of you with the kenne bell are very pleased. :banana:

I am with you. centri's are nice as well, but I am leading towards roots and twinscrews mainly because of the low end torque and that it replaces the cruddy plastic composite intake manifold. I just don't trust that thing, especially under boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.