Kn Air Filter

Ladystang02

Sep 22, 2015
I've got a KN air filter in my 02 mustang 3.8. Overall, I've read really good reviews, but also that it doesn't filter as well as a regular paper filter which could damage the engine. Is this true? Also, do they ever go bad and need replaced. I just finished cleaning mine with a KN kit, need to oil it and pop back in. It's black and stiff (prior to oil). Is this normal? Thx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Sponsors (?)

Of course it isn't going to filter as well as an OEM filter...it is made for performance. But it isn't going to damage your engine either. Stock filters are not made for performance and they have to adhere to certain regulations. As far as replacing them, they don't really go bad. It might be black from being stained by dirt and dust and grime and everything else they typically block out, but once you clean it and oil it you'll be fine even if it is still black.

Reactions: 1 user
Of course it isn't going to filter as well as an OEM filter...it is made for performance. But it isn't going to damage your engine either. Stock filters are not made for performance and they have to adhere to certain regulations. As far as replacing them, they don't really go bad. It might be black from being stained by dirt and dust and grime and everything else they typically block out, but once you clean it and oil it you'll be fine even if it is still black.
Thx three50won

That filter is covered in baked-on motor oil.

Is it usable? By all means.

Can it be degreased? Yep.

Is degreasing necessary for performance? No.

Do not over oil it. When you're done applying the spray oil, there should be only the slightest visible indication that it's been oiled. I've seen some that looked like it had been soaked overnight in a tub of oil.

Reactions: 1 user
That filter is covered in baked-on motor oil.

Is it usable? By all means.

Can it be degreased? Yep.

Is degreasing necessary for performance? No.

Do not over oil it. When you're done applying the spray oil, there should be only the slightest visible indication that it's been oiled. I've seen some that looked like it had been soaked overnight in a tub of oil.
Haha! Thx...I'll be careful not to over oil