Kook's Exhaust setup.

radtexas

Jul 25, 2006
Tyler, Texas
Not sure if this might offend anyone because it is from a different forum group buy. If so I apologize in advance to the creaters/moderators. :hail2:
I think several here are members of different forums. I post questions here because you guys seem to be good at responding to the technical stuff. We all are good at the talking stuff. Always good at the opinions and :bs: :D
I will delete the link if I need to or the mod can. Just not sure of the loyalty/ethics of forum. Maybe I am just being stupid about this. :shrug:

link

1. Anyone have a sound clip using the Kooks system? Looks like the package stops at the axle so will it sound any good on stock axle back? (notice it is X-pipe) Not sure about that. :shrug:
2. Anyone else running them and how hard are they to install? (I have 07 GT)
3. Was looking to get something like Pypes O/R H-pipe, CAI, & XCal II from Brenspeed this Christmas. The O/R gives 8 more HP and with the other modes I would estimate around 35-40 rwhp with these gains on 93 oct tune. Kooks claim 20-25 gain, so would I get maybe 45-50 more hp from the Kooks over the O/R "H"?

Would love some opinions from those that have used these setups. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Everything I've heard and read says. The gains are stand alone HP gains. So if you add CAI, Tune, and Exhaust do not expect to get the numbers stated. Meaning if the marketing department says.

CAI=20HP
Tune=15HP
Headers+O/R H pipe=30HP

This will not give you 65HP and to be honest I have no idea how much it would give.

Don't know if that is any help but it is my point oh two!! :)

I have the Kooks LT headers and off road X-pipe system installed on my 05 GT. I also have Borla axle backs. I had Evolution performance do the install. I think it's pretty labor intensive to do yourself, although it can be done over a weekend. You can see my other mods in my signature along with HP /TQ numbers straight from Freds' Mustang Dyno at Evolution Performance.

PDXStangDude said:
Headers+O/R H pipe=30HP

It would be either Kooks OR O/R H-pipe from Pypes. The Kooks is to be a complete headers back to axle back. Where as the Pypes O/R is as you already know from stock headers to axle backs.

Just not sure if spending an extra 1k is worth it. Especially if the 20 HP from the Kooks can not be added to what a CAI and Tune give.

Brent at Brenspeed said that the O/R H-pipe is an extra 8 HP over what something like the C&L/Tuner already gives. But not sure if the Kooks is the same way?? :shrug:

1k for 12 more HP hmm does not add up to well.

masinmike said:
I have the Kooks LT headers and off road X-pipe system installed on my 05 GT. I also have Borla axle backs. I had Evolution performance do the install. I think it's pretty labor intensive to do yourself, although it can be done over a weekend. You can see my other mods in my signature along with HP /TQ numbers straight from Freds' Mustang Dyno at Evolution Performance.

Your set up is very close to what I was looking at with the exception of Custom tune, Cats and axle backs. Did you do a stock dyno run for comparison. Looks like basing on average stock dynos you gained around 46-56 rwhp? (assuming stock 265-275)

radtexas said:
It would be either Kooks OR O/R H-pipe from Pypes. The Kooks is to be a complete headers back to axle back. Where as the Pypes O/R is as you already know from stock headers to axle backs.

Just not sure if spending an extra 1k is worth it. Especially if the 20 HP from the Kooks can not be added to what a CAI and Tune give.

Brent at Brenspeed said that the O/R H-pipe is an extra 8 HP over what something like the C&L/Tuner already gives. But not sure if the Kooks is the same way?? :shrug:

1k for 12 more HP hmm does not add up to well.
It can be added your just not going to see the 20-25HP marketing number. More like 12HP or so. Keep in mind I'm using these numbers as an example.

radtexas- My story is sort of confusing. I'll try and explain it the best I can. I first had the C&L intake with a predator 93 Octane tune. On Fred's dyno that yielded about 286 RWHP. His shop then did my Kooks LT headers and off road X-pipe install. They also put in the 4.10 gears, Hurst shifter and new motor mounts. They gave me their custom 93 Octane tune on an SCT X-Cal 2 and you see the numbers below. So the Headers, X-pipe and Fred's tune netted me an extra 35 RWHP. How much is due to the headers and x-pipe could be debated. I would think that the headers added around 20-25, the x-pipe around 8-10 and his tune the rest of the difference over the last 93 octane tune.

I just noticed that the Granatelli Header/cats are on one site $510 compared to the $1200 for the Kooks.
Both are T-304 SS. Both claim same results and should be equal. I know Kooks is top in name but has anyone had any dealings with Granatelli?

I have read/heard that Granatelli is very up to speed with the Stangs. He races what he sells!!!! He was also one of the first to get the Cobras up over 500hp with the pulley change and a few exhaust mods. No doubt he could be on par with Roush/Steeda/Saleen one day.

radtexas said:
I just noticed that the Granatelli Header/cats are on one site $510 compared to the $1200 for the Kooks.
Both are T-304 SS. Both claim same results and should be equal. I know Kooks is top in name but has anyone had any dealings with Granatelli?

Do you have a name or a link to the site that sells the Granatelli set for $510.00?