LA2 vs LA3

Hey all,
Just doing some rersearch for my 2.3T swap into my '92 Notch and have pretty much decided to find an '87 or '88 T-Bird TurboCoupe this summer. So here's my question: What exactly is the difference between the LA, LA2, & LA3 computers? I know that LA & LA2 are from 1987 (5spd) and LA3 is 1988 (5spd), but is an LA3 really that much better than an LA2?
Also, I've read a lot about how to wire these things up and I have to admit I'm confused with all the modifications required and the re-pinning of the harnesses. Wouldn't it be easier to just use the OEM harness from the TurboCoupe and completey replace all of the Mustang wiring??

Thanks,
WES

• Sponsors (?)

I think the main thing with the LA3 is that it's reprogrammable if you get an EEC Tuner or similar. Not sure if you'll see a whole lot of difference between the LA series otherwise, although the -3 might have slightly better fuel and timing tables from being from a 5-spd.

Oh, btw..........I agree.

Ash

I really don't know the difference in the EECs but I can give you my opinions on it.

1) Its the last EEC made for the 2.3T's which I would think would be the most advanced and have les bugs etc.

2) The PE is the best all out power EEC but the LA3 is realy good but VERY easy to get.

As for the wiring and rewiring. Just look up GT350R's wiring on a LA3 and you will see its really not to bad. It would be way more work to rewire the hold car than to rewire for the VAM and EEC.

http://ourworld.cs.com/_ht_a/cobra30197/svo/la3/la3.html?mtbrand=cs_us

Hawk's Two Cents :)

Way back when I did a lot of research on this very topic.

Nobody could confirm anything more than the LA2, LA3, LB2, LB3 all probably have the exact same fuel curves and swapping in any of those in a 5 speed model and running an adjustable boost valve will give you identical performance. Ford has nothing anywhere saying the LA3 has a different fuel curve/more aggressive tables than the '87 version or auto counterparts. The auto versions do run less boost using the stock BCS, but that's to save the tranny, again no biggy if you install an ABV.

LA3 does accept a tuner though - so if you might go that route down the line I'd find one.

I wouldn't use the turbocoupe harness, talk about complicating your project. That'd take a LONG TIME compared to modifying the stock harness. Stinger has a specific 91-93 wiring swap page on his website. Just follow it.

read this:
Way back when I did a lot of research on this very topic.

Nobody could confirm anything more than the LA2, LA3, LB2, LB3 all probably have the exact same fuel curves and swapping in any of those in a 5 speed model and running an adjustable boost valve will give you identical performance. Ford has nothing anywhere saying the LA3 has a different fuel curve/more aggressive tables than the '87 version or auto counterparts. The auto versions do run less boost using the stock BCS, but that's to save the tranny, again no biggy if you install an ABV.

LA3 does accept a tuner though - so if you might go that route down the line I'd find one.

I wouldn't use the turbocoupe harness, talk about complicating your project. That'd take a LONG TIME compared to modifying the stock harness. Stinger has a specific 91-93 wiring swap page on his website. Just follow it.

Thanks for all the replies. I picked up an LA2 on ebay just to have in case I can't get a complete '88 TC. As far as using a tuner....no big deal. Besides, it'll be a miracle if i actually get everything I need and complete the swap this summer so reflashing the computer is the least of my worries. But it's good to know that I could always upgrade to an LA3.

Thanks again,
WES

LA & LB computers

Guys,
The LA and LB series computers are about the same as far as fuel curves and such. The LA is five speed material and the LB's are auto. Now before you go yuck, take this into consideration....the LB's are more agressive with the timing and actually give more pep to a five speed car. That is what I am running in mine :flag: :flag: :flag: