leather shifter boot

spederman

Apr 13, 2005
Anybody replaced the cheapy vinyl with a leather shift boot?

I got the Ford Racing Cobra leather boot. Pulled off the old vinyl POS but you have to break off the mounting tabs to get it off. Now im wondering wtf i use to hold on the new leather boot to the bezel? Any suggestions from people that have done it?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, I just did mine with a boot from Redlines. I used automotive contact cement from the adhesive section at the parts store which is what they recommend in their instructions. Look for one that says it'll bond leather and plastics.

I glued the boot to the old ring and then glued the assembly to the bezel. You don't really have to use the ring but it made it easier to line up the boot and it spreads the clamping force around more evenly when you're gluing it to the bezel since it's awkward getting clamps on the bezel.

Make sure you have some mineral spirits (or whatever they recommend on the package) on hand to wipe up any extra adhesive that ends up where it's not supposed to.

i would use glue but the Ford Racing boot i got is exactly like the stock boot. It comes with the boot attached to the metal ring with slots for the oem tabs. And when you put it in place on the bezel, no part of the ring actually touches the bezel since its supposed to use the OEM tabs , so im not sure that using glue would do any good.

i would use glue but the Ford Racing boot i got is exactly like the stock boot. It comes with the boot attached to the metal ring with slots for the oem tabs. And when you put it in place on the bezel, no part of the ring actually touches the bezel since its supposed to use the OEM tabs , so im not sure that using glue would do any good.

Just glue it. You put the glue on the top surface of the boot, the ring is just there for support since your tabs are broken off. When my original factory vinyl boot fell off due to the tabs cracking and breaking off, I just glued it back on with some RTV I had handy and it worked fine. Using an adhesive designed for leather and plastics can only work better.

Hot glue would probably work just fine to as suggested above.

i went to jo ann fabrics and bought white leather and had my aunt get creative on the sewing machine, 20 minutes later it was ready and i slapped it on my white 95 and it looked beautiful. i would never pay for one id just have it made whatever color i wanted

Reactions: 1 user