Left or Right?

Discussion in '1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-' started by Route666, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Route666

Route666 Active Member

I'm in Oz, as you al probably know, and if a car is 30+ years old, it can stay LHD. I can't decide whether to convert it to RHD, which would be safer, easier to see out of, feel better (holding a gearstick in my right hand feels goonky). On the other hand, it may be cheaper and easier to get parts if it isn't converted, also it stays more original, and doesn't get chopped up, which saves money as well. Also, having it LHD would be kind of unique, and most likely shock police into forgetting what they pulled me over for.

Anyways, what does everyone think?
  2. rbohm

rbohm Founding Member

best to make the car safe to drive. convert to right hand drive you will get used to the shifter.
  3. Route666

Route666 Active Member

ah that would feel right for me. Having it LHD would feel wierd.
  4. 3spd on floor

3spd on floor Founding Member

wouldnt most of the stangs you find over there in backwards-land be RHD already? werent all the ones that were shipped there RHD? i dont know how many there are though.
  5. shelbyseven

shelbyseven Founding Member

hmmmm...what would mad max do?????...lol...couldn't resist...
  6. Route666

Route666 Active Member

Well all the ones that were shipped here new are accounted for, but stangs get imported here constantly.
  7. oboebrian

oboebrian Founding Member

In the Gutter Gaurding the Closet Door against She
    I think you should just petition the government to encourage driving on the correct side of the road just like most of the civilized world (cept for those crazy brits and japanese). I was riding in a Skyline last year (RHD) and i was the passenger freaking out the other drivers by shouting "i lost my steering wheel please help' or just staring at the passenger at the other car while we were driving. Surprisingly it took the other car a while to notice the steering wheel was on the opposite side of the car, and until they noticed, they usually had this crazed/worried look on their face :D
  8. Route666

Route666 Active Member

Phhh I dunno, sounds like a lot of effort :p Anyways, I doubt it will happen, I mean making a whole city or country drive on the opposite side one day wouldn't work too well. There'd be people who didn't get the message, and some that forget, plus don't forget all the cars already RHD. Anyways, I know you had to be joking (I sure hope you were lol).

Visibility on a 69 sportsroof isn't very good is it?, so I think that having LHD and bad visibility wouldn't be safe.