Lifter Problem w/ picture

Leezure

May 10, 2005
I have had a lifter tick for a while now and finally narrowed it down to the #5 exhaust lifter. My first indication that it was this lifter was when I tried to adjust the lash there was no back pressure as I turned the lock nut down a half turn past zero lash. I suspected a collapsed lifter and found this when I pulled it.

Sorry for the link. The insert image button will not work with shutterfly.

http://cobrateam06.shutterfly.com/295

What would cause the pitting on the shoulder of the lifter and could this be the cause of my tick?

Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Perhaps debris got wedged next to it or somehow oil managed to not flow well to the top of the lifter. Did this all of a sudden happen, or was this a short time after a rebuild?

This happened over a period of time. It was hard to diagnose because the tick was only present once the oil reached temperature. It was totally non-existant at cooler temps.

The engine has about 4K miles on it since the rebuild.

When you got the block back from the machine shop did you wash it real good with some soap and water? Sounds like a little bit of metal got loose and messed up the lifter. Did you end up just replacing that lifter?

I'm replacing that lifter and checking all the others. The guy from Crane Cams thinks that there may have been some water sitting on that lifter and caused the corrosion. Since this is on the #5 exhaust and that is in the front corner of the valley he may be right. I don't recall any water in the oil or in the engine but there is a possibility that water got in there with a small intake manifold leak.