Limited Slip or Lockers?

Edbert said:
No-slip is not a locker, it is a spool. Even the toughest "locker" out there will slip if there's enough traction differential. An LSD can last for many years under normal and even moderately agressive driving. But get one burnout where a wheel is in the water and the other is not and the LSD will be fried in a few seconds.

The old style detroit lockers WERE noisy, but that was with a stock ehaust :D Look into one of the newer "soft lockers"...they have 90% of the slip prevention and brute strenght of the old DL, and are 90% as smooth and quiet as an LSD.
let me clear up a few things
a full detroit no-spin aka "soft locker" is not a spool. it is a locker that allows one wheel to spin faster than the pinion, but never slower (about $500, requies gear setup (replaces carrier))

lockright's are crap. we call them lock-wrongs. detroit no slip drop in unit is basically the same as the lockwrong. (usually about $200-300, can be installed by avg mechanic)

there are two types of LSD's. gear operated and clutch operated. gear operated will usually lock up better, and will not wear out
clutch operated will wear out over time and does not lock up as good. this is the type OE limited slips usually are
(about $300, requires setup, replaces carrier)

a spool is a whole nother animal. the wheels speed is split 50/50 100% of the time no mater what. very hard on tires/axles if street driven
there are 2 types of spools: full and mini spool
full spool replaces the entire carrier, mini spool replaces the spider gears. both operated the same, but the full spool is stronger
(about $100, requires gear setup on full spool)

then we get into selectable lockers...ARB, OX, etc...

oh, one thing no one mentioned about the detroit is the pinion slop. there is usually 1/8 turn of the pinion before it starts to turn the wheels. so you will get banging moving from R to D, etc.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey fellas, tone down the rhetoric a bit and quit bashing other stangnet members.

Regarding the post where I was quoted on this page...if you have a differential that doesn't slip (what else can "no-slip" mean?) you have either welded it closed or you have a spool...PERIOD!

All differentials slip, look up the definition of the word differential some time. You can say a no-slip slips all you want, but that merely proves you are a victim of the marketing department.

LouisianaZJ said:
the only way a detroit is going to slip is if you break it, period

it will lock and unlock at times. there is a difference
Not really, unless you want to get into the semantics of a marketeer.

Like I said, look up differential, "slip" or "unlock/disengage/ratchet/etc." they are the same thing. Different forces are exerted by the tire's traction through the axles to the differential, once the force of the varied traction overcomes the FRICTION inside the differential (which can vary widely due to setup or mechanical design) it what? IT SLIPS and allows one wheel to turn faster/slower than the other.

from dictionary.com
Differential Coupling,
a form of slip coupling used in light machinery to regulate at pleasure the velocity of the connected shaft.

See the word slip in there? Your locker unlocking is slipping, it is just more abrupt and less likely to happen is all. The only differentials that are not slippable (and thus not truly differentials anyhow) are spools (or broken diffs as you mentioned), ergo all differentials slip. Thank you.

Edbert said:
Like I said, look up differential, "slip" or "unlock/disengage/ratchet/etc." they are the same thing. Different forces are exerted by the tire's traction through the axles to the differential, once the force of the varied traction overcomes the FRICTION inside the differential (which can vary widely due to setup or mechanical design) it what? IT SLIPS and allows one wheel to turn faster/slower than the other.

I was with ya for a while, but this isn't right. A locker ONLY unlocks when you let it. The forces on the tires don't have anything to do with a lockers operation if you're on the throttle IME, only the force of your foot on the gas. That is why with a locker some low speed turns make the tires bark or hop, because you go at them under throttle. Thats the benefit of the locker, it does not slip based on "enviromental" conditions. If I'm under throttle, mine has NEVER unlocked. A LSD can ride those clutches and send an uneven amount of power to each wheel, the locker can't. its either locked like a spool, or its open.

Hey guys thanks for all the input guys. Im going to go with the soft locker. Is that the typical detroit that all you guys are looking at and is it a good product? Also i'm going to put in the 31 spline axles for the car while im at it. Can you guys give me a site that sells the 31 spline axles for the 9-inch thanks a lot.

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
Hey guys thanks for all the input guys. Im going to go with the soft locker. Is that the typical detroit that all you guys are looking at and is it a good product? Also i'm going to put in the 31 spline axles for the car while im at it. Can you guys give me a site that sells the 31 spline axles for the 9-inch thanks a lot.

Summit sells made to order Moser axles for a little less than $300 a pair IIRC. I have the Detroit and don't recall it being referred to as a "soft locker" anywhere in the literature. They just called it the "Detroit No-Spin" or locker. I looked at Trac-Techs website and didn't see any mention of it either, they just list it as the "No-Spin". Maybe this latest generation is just commonly referred to as soft lockers, I dunno. The only other Tractech listed is the EZ-Locker, which is like the Powertrax.

To be honest, I've never heard of them being called a "soft-locker." Confusion seems to reign in this thread!

Mine is not noisy at all and does not ratchet while cornering. When it engages/disengages, it's more of a "clunk" than a noise. While driving, it's quiet as can be. Although while backing up, sometimes it bangs/clunks. Maybe that's what people are referring to when they say it's noisy. I don't know? Whatever the commentary, it's not enough to bother me. It's part of the game that I'm willing to put up with to have rock solid performance and reliablity.

There's something to be said for having piece of mind and knowing that it's not going to break or prematurely wear out.

Probably won't be for another couple weeks. I have to save up for 31 spline axles and the install cost. I may be able to do it sooner If I can convince "Santa" to hook me up with a detroit locker with 31 spline axles. But the car won't be up and running again till 1st of january as i am getting my victor jr.s and will begin my H/C/I swap and Im going to sell my performer manifold and current carb for a Holley 750 if i can. Ill get some vids and comments up ASAP though. I think I will make a thread where I will post pictures and info about the swap to help future stangers.