Live Wire

wishihadastang125

Founding Member
Apr 11, 2002
Houston
I am picking a live wire tuner from my buddy's brother who has a NPI motor. Are there any issues I am going to have tuning my car? Do I need to call SCT for tunes? Basically what do I do when I get it? This seems a little different from buying a brand new unit.

• Sponsors (?)

I am picking a live wire tuner from my buddy's brother who has a NPI motor. Are there any issues I am going to have tuning my car? Do I need to call SCT for tunes? Basically what do I do when I get it? This seems a little different from buying a brand new unit.

I'm not sure if it's different from a regular tuner but ensure that it is "un-binded" from the previous car (restore the factory tune) or it will not allow you to tune a different vehicle.

It will more than likely come with a canned tune that you can just install, assuming it is the correct model tuner for your vehicle.

However, your best bet is to contact a well-known tuner and order a "mail-order" tune in which you would download it into the tuner from your PC and then use the tuner to flash the car's PCM. Ideally, you want to just take it to a tuner and have it dyno tuned or let them do it on the spot.

Thanks for the info. It's tough for me to pay for a dyno tune on a stock car when I could use that money for a gear and get more oomf.

Sorry I forgot to look at your mods. Yeah don't waste your money on a dyno tune with just a K&N and catback. Gears all the way! Contact these guys and see what they can do for you. They're a local shop and I've heard nothing but good things about their mailorder tunes. I believe they're like $75.

South Florida Dyno Tuning and Performance Shop. Specializing in SCT, Diablo and Standalone Tuning for Diesel, Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Charger, Challenger, SRT, Viper. Professional Installation of aftermarket performance products - Torq

Sorry I forgot to look at your mods. Yeah don't waste your money on a dyno tune with just a K&N and catback. Gears all the way! Contact these guys and see what they can do for you. They're a local shop and I've heard nothing but good things about their mailorder tunes. I believe they're like $75.

South Florida Dyno Tuning and Performance Shop. Specializing in SCT, Diablo and Standalone Tuning for Diesel, Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Charger, Challenger, SRT, Viper. Professional Installation of aftermarket performance products - Torq

Nice link! :nice:

I'm researching tuners and it looks like they are bound to one or two cars. The Sniper you have to buy extra "bullets" to tune more cars. I'm not sure about the SCT X3 (which is what I want with the software CD). Do you get one or two with the SCT? And can you buy more for any of these tuners?

Nice link! :nice:

I'm researching tuners and it looks like they are bound to one or two cars. The Sniper you have to buy extra "bullets" to tune more cars. I'm not sure about the SCT X3 (which is what I want with the software CD). Do you get one or two with the SCT? And can you buy more for any of these tuners?
I've got a Diablo, no clue :) What'd that 9psi KB kit cost ya?

I hear ya. I was just thinking that there are only so many options for spark timing and a/f ratio, and a ton of people with tuned mustangs, maybe someone along the way annotated a safe combo of settings. I mean isn't that all these "dyno proven tunes" are? Someone got a good tune and wrote it down.

Well the thing with a dyno tune is everything is monitored in real time and adjusted accordingly, then dyno'd again to confirm. It's going to be different for each car.

Sure there are minor adjustments that can be made (like your mailorder tunes) but I would leave it to the pros for a small fee rather than take the chance of making small alterations yourself, unless you have a good understanding of timing, a/f (with a wideband gauge), etc.