Look what I got today!

Camshaft78

Sep 1, 2004
UPS man woke me up this morning...

:banana: Although the '71 302 won't be in there long, I am adding a couple small touches along the way. Coming soon is an Edelbrock Performer intake topped by an Edelbrock 600 as well as dual glasspack exhausts.

• Sponsors (?)

The filter itself is about 2" tall, and the bottom of the filter "box" is slightly recessed. I want to see this fit under my stock hood...

I haven't opened EVERYTHING yet, but that wingnut is mighty tempting...

The car's not running, i'm worried that if I put it on, i'll have to keep polishing it every week to prevent rust. I'm also waiting on a new Edelbrock 600 carb and a Performer intake and carb package.

Camshaft78 said:
Will those work alright? I picked up some black Permatex just in case.

I was referring more to the stamped chrome valve covers.

For the gaskets, here's my advice... Get some 3M super weatherstrip adhesive. Lay a bead on the valve cover itself, and then place the gasket on. Throw some bolts in the holes to hold it in place properly. Let it set for about a half hour. Then install the valve covers with the head side of the gasket DRY. Don't overtighten them.

That's your best chance of good sealing.

CobraIILover said:
Welcome to the world of forver leaking valve cover gaskets ;).
Didn't I figure that one out the hard way myself :( they are the next thing to get replaced on the Mach 1

As for the wing nut- it'll look good until you go to close your hood and wind up with a nice round dent in the middle of it where the wing nut hit when the hood closed. That was one of the first things to go when I bought the car after I figured out where the dent came from. :notnice: The one I have is the running horse mustang logo. I saved it incase I decide to get another hood and cut one of them for a funtional cowl hood, or if I can find a low enough Air cleaner to clear the hood with it.

CobraIILover said:
I was referring more to the stamped chrome valve covers.

For the gaskets, here's my advice... Get some 3M super weatherstrip adhesive. Lay a bead on the valve cover itself, and then place the gasket on. Throw some bolts in the holes to hold it in place properly. Let it set for about a half hour. Then install the valve covers with the head side of the gasket DRY. Don't overtighten them.

That's your best chance of good sealing.

I definately second that stuff. Also popularly known as "Yellow Snot" :D
I use that stuff for all over the engine, but applied only to the "removing part" as it's a MOTHER to scrape off say, an engine block, if you're having to change that part later on. Works great too, around -only- the water jackets on the intake manifold. If I put a new engine together i usually expect 1-2 daily driver years out if it before i even detect ANY type of light seepage at all. Oil doesn't seem to have any affect on it as far as breaking it down at all. Great stuff, hands down..... :nice:

Looks like fun Christmas in June! I have Moroso tall chrome steel valve covers with out the "Moroso" stamped in them. They don't leak a drop :shrug:

I put a 60's Ford hood scoop on my II. (the one with the turn signal indicators in it). It is only 1 1/2 tall but it makes all the differance. I am running a 10 inch air cleaner with a 4 1/2" tall element and I still have room! I would not worry about the chrome rusting. My car sits in an un-heated grage all winter and none of my chrome stuff ever rusts. I use "Never-dull" to clean the chrome stuff. It removes the tarnish and leaves an oily residue to prevent rust. Chrome is easy, even for lazy dudes like me, polished aluminum on the other hand, is for the anal retentive crowd! Who has the time for that crap :shrug: I would rather be cruising then polishing :D

Thanks for the tips! I called Summit because one of the valve covers had a scratch on it. When I drive down in two weeks to pick up my Performer intake, they'll replace it for me. I'm also getting a free polo shirt that I get to wear to work! :banana: