lookin for some knowledge for my build...

bascosauce

May 11, 2007
Alright guys well I've had a mustang for about a year now and its still the same as when I got it, STOCK with the exception of shorty headers and flows...my question is this: what can I make that's reliable but doesn't give me 9 to the gallon?

The reason I ask is because this is my daily driver...I'm not real concerned with gas mileage but at the same time, 9mpg for a DD sucks balls.

I've flirted with things such as turbos and superchargers, but its not worth it with the stock 302 IMO. I also thought about a 347 stroker build but if I'm gonna go stroker why not just go 393 or 408! Money doesn't really matter, I'm not trying to do this inna couple months, its gonna be a much longer process, but I don't want to start anything until I have my plan.

So as I end my first post here (I was an active mustangforums member but those forums got old too quickly, I like how things are on this site) I just want to ask a question, if you were in my shoes, how would u build your foxbody?

Thanks to all who reply and I look forward to becoming a part of the forums!

• Sponsors (?)

Plenty of people turbo or supercharge a stock engine. It's a nice way to add a nice boost of on-demand power without having to crack a bottle. Some people like nitrous as a cheap hp boost, and they don't mind having to fill the bottle and deal w/o the hp with the bottle not open.

Bigger isn't always better and you don't have to have a huge modified engine to make decent power. Sure, heads, cam and an intake would help an engine, but you don't have to go 347 or 408 or whatever. If you go w/ a supercharger, get a name brand like Vortech or Paxton or Kenne Bell. An upgradeable supercharger would be good for now and then you could increase the boost later on when you have your fully built engine.

However, keep in mind when you build more power, you gotta put it to the ground. Don't forget suspension! Some people believe you need to do suspension first (control arms, subframe connectors, torque box reinforcements, etc) before you add HP so you don't break things later on.

First of all, though, try to plan where you want to go with this thing so you don't end up buying things twice. Get what you need for your long-range plans instead of buying something that will work for now, but you'll have to upgrade later. Plans change, that happens. That's life, but a good working plan would probably save you money and a lot of time and hassle.

For example, since this is a daily driver, a 408 would probably make it nose heavy and it wouldn't handle as well as a lighter car. Are you willing to compromise in that respect? Tire sizes affect braking, so going skinny's up front may not be the best choice for a daily driver (although some do it). Sure, gutting the car would would make it a little faster, but it would probably make for a less-than-desirable daily driver. Catch my drift?

i know a couple guys running 700-800 hp on stock bottom end motors at only 15 psi.. just good head gaskets, and good bearings and rings.. 7qt pan, and GT40p heads.. now thats serious power..

408 stroker with huge heads, intake, and a turbo grind cam. Your gonna need to kill some of that low end torque, cause when that turbo comes up your gonna have your hands full.

EDIT Add turbo to list of mods for motor.

Ha this may sound stupid but what do some of you think the gas mileage is like on a 408? This is where I get stuck, I want the 408, but because its my daily driver I don't wanna get killed, and how dependable would that stroker/turbo build be?

And I definitely will have to buy another block as it is, I'm looking for 500-530rwhp, I can't risk the block splitting. So if I'm gonna go through all that trouble, boom why notta 408!

Lemme put it this way, if you hadta finance a 408 stroker/347 stroker/stock 302 whether through maintenance or fuel, which would you choose...like I said, I want the 408, but if its going to cost me so much to finance it, its not worth it ya know?

Ha I'm not looking for GOOD gas mileage, I'd be happy with 12-13. And as for the other guy who said I'm contradicting myself, I know I am, that's why I'm confused on what I wanna do. That's why I asked you guys what you would do if it was your daily driver and you wanted to dump some cash into it.