looking at purchasing a fox and need some tips

kramer03gt

Apr 4, 2005
madison, WI
Hey guys, well this winter im planning on purchasing a fox to go with my 03 gt, now im looking at a 1993 gt of some sort, but i was wondering what you can tell me about these cars, the good, bad, things to look for, what to notice when driving one etc etc etc. being ive never driving one, and im sure it wont really compare to my 03,

Thanks in advance

Steve

• Sponsors (?)

You want to ensure a shiney red finish and white tail:
View attachment 472072

A pointy nose, pointy ears, white muzzle, and a cunning look in the eyes help to assure that you're getting a quality Fox.
close-fox-apr2.jpg

During the winter, their coats get very full. Properly maintained a Fox in good condition is an awesome sight to behold:
baronsdown.jpg

Things to be cautious of would be a Fox that looks something like this:
imageWXS10103161752.jpg

If your dealer tells you that this is a Fox then you should leave immediatly! At that point, he is either completely ignorant in regards to the Fox or is intentionally trying to mislead you.

This is also a poor example of a Fox. To an untrained eye, this may seem like a good purchase but beware. All too often you find that there are "clones" out there or that people use various methods to dress up one of these units to pass off as a Fox.
coyote%2007.jpg

Make sure you do your homework prior to purchasing a Fox. You'd hate to end up being the owner of something that's been worn or abused or worse... discover that what you've purchased may in fact, not be a Fox at all.

Happy Hunting! :)

Your right it wont compare to your 03, it will raaaaape it!!! Not! It will be alot noisier, ride alot worse, have a craptastical interior, and possibly rattle and/or shake. Good luck.

Seriously though...:rolleyes: If your gonna get a fox stick to the 89-93 years as they are mass air. These are much more friendly to modding. Next, if you want a 93 keep in mind that they have cast pistons, not forged. If you want forged stick to the 89-92 fox's. Its just nice insurance if you plan to use a power adder. Good luck!

take this for what its worth.

If i were to ever buy another fox it would HAVE to have black interior no matter what.... and No rust everything else can be fixed or upgraded at a reasonable price.

if you want a decent car your gonna have 6-9k in it before you know it

:drool: U see raven up there :drool:

kramer03gt said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...Z6236QQitemZ4636960663QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

so i take it something like this one.. as far as the paint on these cars with all the ground effects on them are they prone to cracking and what not, i know on my 87 GTA the spoilers are known for that.. are there any issues like that with these cars?

Umm so why does that car have a roll cage? :shrug:

It is certainly unesseccary... .

I gaurantee you it DOES NOT run the times required by NHRA to force a roll cage

decide if you want a hatchback or a coupe, coupes are lighter but harder to find

life the doors and check the hinges (see if the doors sag)
look everywhere for rust.... especially along the bottom of the doors

i'd go for a mass-air car too as stated

look for something that has been taken care of (hopefully the owner has records of oil changes etc. and replaced parts)

oh and run a carfax on the thing before you buy it

ha i didnt even notice it had a roll cage till i looked at all the pictures.. haha thats good stuff...ok i take it the example i posted above is a hatchback.. which im assuming the gt's are and the lx's are the coupe's?? or am i way off on that one..

so im sure im looking pretty retarded with the q's im asking but i really dont know much about the fox bodies beside they look awesome and BA.. and one painted the same as my 03 would look pretty hot in the garage.. ha.. and whats so special about the MAss air i keep hearing about are they HO motors in those years?

kramer03gt said:
so im sure im looking pretty retarded with the q's im asking but i really dont know much about the fox bodies beside they look awesome and BA.. and one painted the same as my 03 would look pretty hot in the garage.. ha.. and whats so special about the MAss air i keep hearing about are they HO motors in those years?

cars equipped w/mass-air are easier to modify, the computer is more tolerant of engine mods

If you can nail down a Notch (a coupe with a trunk, not a hatch) do it. Rare, sexy, and the lightest of all the fox's. I would trade my car for a good condition, bone stock notch in a heart beat. :drool:

Close.......

they made LX and GT hatchback......hatch refers to the fact that the rear glass lifts open with the trunk lid.

Coupes....or Notchback only came in LX trim...we'll call it a Notch, refers to the fact that the trunk lid opens, and its not attached to the glass like the hatch
more or less the same as a convertable with a perminant hard top

speaking of convertables.....they came in both LX and GT trim

My advise is to spend a little more and find a low mileage foxbody, and start from there. Check for rust under the trunk lids and all the body seams.
If the car has mods you will want to see that the torque boxes are in good shape

.......you'll find most of the foxes out there will have a issue with power door locks not functioning properly and ashtray door not working correctly but these are minor things.
Good lucko im sure im looking pretty retarded with the q's im asking but i really dont know much about the fox bodies beside they look awesome and BA.. and one painted the same as my 03 would look pretty hot in the garage.. ha.. and whats so special about the MAss air i keep hearing about are they HO motors in those years?[/QUOTE]