Looking for a 2.3 is harder then i thought...

MyCARneedsHelp

Founding Member
Apr 24, 2002
Plainfield,IL
Well i finally sold my 5.0 and im looking for a 2.3. Yes its gunna be a Turbo project the only thing im having trouble doing is accually finding a 2.3..... If anyone around the Chicago Land Area or near here is selling a 2.3 PLLLEEEAASSEEE let me know... Anyone know of any other place to look??? no small town dealers have them here so its kinda like a needle in a haystack.... Thanx guys. - Andy:(

• Sponsors (?)

MyCARneedsHelp said:
Well i finally sold my 5.0 and im looking for a 2.3. Yes its gunna be a Turbo project the only thing im having trouble doing is accually finding a 2.3..... If anyone around the Chicago Land Area or near here is selling a 2.3 PLLLEEEAASSEEE let me know... Anyone know of any other place to look??? no small town dealers have them here so its kinda like a needle in a haystack.... Thanx guys. - Andy:(
yeah to my surprise its getting harder and harder to find good condition fox 4 cylinder coupes or hatches... though I have ran into a million convertible...

Yep I had the same problem...last year, I was looking for something to drive during the winter to replace my old '90 LX. I wanted another 2.3L Mustang, but all I could find was either convertibles ('92s or '93's for $3000+), or a couple hatchbacks that were IMO overpriced ($2500 or whatever). I was hoping to find one for $1000 or less, but no luck, that's how I ended up with the tempo.

yea i agree, conver. are EVERYWERE but when your looking for a hatchback or notch thats all you find is verts, verts, verts !!!!. I dont mind the verts but its just not my thing. I love the hard tops. Ive checked Craigslist & Autotrader they are both way overpriced. Im hoping one falls this way soon. I miss my 2.3 so much :(

hey, i was just about to put my '91 hatch up for sale. i'm in romeoville. it's a pretty solid car (with a working ashtray door! :D ), just need to get rid of it--too many cars in the household as it is. feel free to pm or email me if you're interested.

that's it in my avatar. i can dig up some better pics. let me know.

edit: i also have a turbo engine + T3 that i might be trying to get rid of too, if you need one for the swap.

when gas hit 3.00+ a gallon (well soon before) almost all 4cyl cars in my area were nabbed up. V-8's were being given away now that it is back down under 2.00$ they are showing back up. I got mine from a friend which is how i got lucky. there out there best thing to do is have cash in had so when you find the one you like cash talks and B/S walks. i have 2 other friends who are looking for LX'S to do a 2.3T swap like mine. I have had 2 5.0's and a 4.6L and the 2.3T is the funnest and has got me the most attention of them all.

I haven't seen V8 prices drop around here either. The only thing I have seen though is 4 cyl prices going up. I just looked at another '91 here in town for sale for $600.00. It had a bad motor (no details just reading the sign in the window), cracked windshield, rust blisters on nearly every body panel, but it did have a nice set of 4-lug Centerline auto drags, and a very clean grey interior. It was an original Ohio car which explained the rust, and made me even more wary of the underside of the car. The sign said the owner had another motor to go with it but didn't say if it was part of the $600.00 package.

All in all, it was a parts car at best. The grey interior panels, wheels, 5 speed, roller valvetrain, and a few other parts would have been worth trying to keep or resell, but I wouldn't have messed with the body, and I wouldn't have paid his list price.

Yep, I noticed that when gas went up they dissappeared. Fortunately, I got two back in the spring when they were cheap. I have yet to get the $100 one running, but I may try that for fun over xmas. The $500 one runs fine every day.

I let the $300 vert get away, though!]

Even my free Mazda B2000 is looking good now!

Right before gas hit $3 I bought my Lightning. Now that it's kinda come back down I got my $500 2.3 hatch. Can't touch them out here for less than a grand really,in poor shape. I lucked out in the way the girl had the ad written, it sounded like a real beater, when it started on the first crank with no smoke or miss I drove it straight to the trailer. Until gas is back at a reasonable amount for 91 (i.e. less than $2 a gallon) the 2.3 is all the more tastey. I hammer the Lightning once for 30 seconds I could have drove to work for a week in the Stang. Got to make them count for now atleast. Plus it will give me the chance to get the truck under 11 seconds and 9 mpg :nice: Plus I really like the Fox Stangs and had quite a few. Even my mom told me "It's about damn time you got another one". Then told me she sold her Cali Special, I cried. crapola

lookin for a mustang?!

no joke, come to central Texas....near Ft. Hood and Waco, im not joking almost every street around here has a mustang! 2.3s are common around here, but 2.3 turbos and turbocoupes are not, thats where im running into my problem...finding a tc. anyways, i managed to find a 2.3 for $500 down here, with nothing really wrong with it, cept the auto transmission is upsetting me....

matt

Making it fast

I own a 93 mustang 2.3L i Gettin a header for it n that all i found so far that i dont already have done..i wanna find a turbo or something if u kno where i can get more hp from car peformance besides turbo let me kno ohh im also orderin the superchip for it. well get bak fi ukno where i can find more performance for her:SNSign:

My 2 cents

lx stang23--skip the superchip and spend the money on something that will actually make a noticeable difference.
andy, If you still need a chassis or turbo coupe parts, email me, and if you're lucky, you'll hit me on a day when I feel like selling out. Neither chassis are beauty queens, but the 89 is relatively rust free. [email protected]..... you already know the way here.