looking for a cheap mod that increases power for my next track visit

• Sponsors (?)

damien, those are really good ideas!

how about intake? thats about 150 bucks, and its super easy to install, right? and I always wanted to get intake and that tape from the summit catalog that deflects radiant heat and tape up the intake track . . . just for good measure . . .

I am not speaking from experience here, so please dont flame me if Im wrong or thats a waste of money :(

DerekStangGT said:
l need a good mod for my next visit to the track on Dec 17. im looking for another .1 in the 1/4. is there anything for under $200??
thanks

I would go with pulleys and then when you have a little more money you can add a timing adjuster. Skip the CAI until you are out of bolt-ons because you won't see crap out of it other than better looks.

agree with others, dump the stereo and run on an empty tank. Every 100lbs you drop is almost equal to .1 in the 1/4. You could do this and buy some used slicks and run .1-.5 better.

ok, maybe i should clarify: my last track visit i DID take out my stereo equipment, spare, jack, and pass seat. and i cant do UD pullies b/c i have a full audio system so it would sap too much power from my alt. actually a TA would work. anyone have recommendations for a cheap place to get a TA? also, w/o using a dyno to tune, how would i know how many degrees to advance?
EDIT: and i dont want slicks or DRs b/c i dont have the $$ to replace my axles

Green4.6GT said:
pull the upper and port it, free and should get you 8-10 ponies
please explain this porting of which you speak. do i just use a dremmel? is it safe?
damien2003gt said:
Free: Dump the stereo and alarm..... Very heavey
and how exactly should i remove the alarm? pull out every wire in the car and yank out the horn under the hood? is there really anything to remove?

if u want to port the plenum all u need is a dremmel, and i believe its pretty safe but,i havent seen a really good step by step for the porting process so i havent had the guts to do it myself. u can also port the tb at the same time, the ford tb is actually 70mm on the intake side, u port the exhaust side from 65 to 70 and put a new butterfly in, u can get a k&n filter, trim the heat shield, and buy a roush/c&l inlet tube for 50+ bucks and along with porting the plenum u got a whole new intake, but im just too lazy to do it

spikeGT_99 said:
if u want to port the plenum all u need is a dremmel, and i believe its pretty safe but,i havent seen a really good step by step for the porting process so i havent had the guts to do it myself. u can also port the tb at the same time, the ford tb is actually 70mm on the intake side, u port the exhaust side from 65 to 70 and put a new butterfly in, u can get a k&n filter, trim the heat shield, and buy a roush/c&l inlet tube for 50+ bucks and along with porting the plenum u got a whole new intake, but im just too lazy to do it
Don't bother with the port and polish and FRPP TB.
If you really want to do the intake, go with C&L or Accufab, and an Accufab TB. But you best option here is pulleys. Ditch the stereo.
Or just save your money.

yea just pop it off and look at it, it is REALLY rough and poorly cast inside, you can open it up quite a bit with a dremel... also if youre looking at getting a timing adjuster, why not jsut save up for a few more wks.. and get a chip, or tune.. that will not only bump the timing, but adjust fuel aswell?...

DONT PULL THE ALARM!!! for the maybe 5-8 lbs it is, its not worth the hassle, not to mention it keeps your stang safe at night while you sleep lol...

myponyrocks said:
I'm runnin a 1k watt amp with a 1 farahd cap, pulleys have not stressed the battery at all.
really? thats good to know. i have only a little more (~1800 watts and a 1.2 farad cap), but i have 2 amps. would mine make that much of a difference?

you should be safe with the pulleys.

Take your dremel and cut the stock airbox so that all that's left it the part that holds the filter with the clamp and the bracket that holds it to the fender. You will have an open filter and with a removed passenger headlight, will give you a nice cold air charge.