lOOKING FOR SOME INSIGHT ON MY COMBO

88GT17MA

Nov 1, 2004
Hey guys. first of all, here's the rundown:

88 stock block, holley intake, tw heads, 1.7 rockers, 75mm tb, 8-10 psi boost, and the part I'll probably get flammed for......a stock camshaft.

Reasons for using the stock cam:

1. Emissions (ma)
2. the fact that I dont want to be grinding 2 custom cams (getting one for my new bottom end this winter)
3. Driveability
4. $$$$$$$$$
5. The way it should co-operate with the computer..(home-tuning)
6. Lastly, I bought this car to work on it and to drive it, however it seems like the driving part is never factored in.

Next year I will have an entire new setup, just want some feedback/constructive criticism as to what I should expect.....will I be kicking myself in the ass for this? Most of the guys on turbomustangs.com are pushing some nice numbers with stock cams, but then again......they are turbo, not SC. Thanks in advance - Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

yyyyyeaaaaah.

FLAMMED->FLAMED

You need to explain your combo better to get any feedback, like what s/c you are using, if any? It's also not very clear on what you want answered, you want... numbers? Maybe try reposting when the smoke clears and just maybe you will get some insight from others. Just trying to help.

goesquik said:
FLAMMED->FLAMED

You need to explain your combo better to get any feedback, like what s/c you are using, if any? It's also not very clear on what you want answered, you want... numbers? Maybe try reposting when the smoke clears and just maybe you will get some insight from others. Just trying to help.

what smoke? I know how to spell flamed, this is the internet, so what I made a typo? You knew what I meant right? Its a v-1 a trim ribbed for 8-10 PSI. I have the engine on a stand and I am debating on wether or not to change the cam out while im doing the new balancer/timing set. I'm willing to give the stocker a shot, unless someone here can give me some information to do otherwise. Im no cam expert, and I'm trying to find out how badly I'm hurting my combo by not changing the cam.

I wasn't asking for some direct answer, just some "insight".....you know? opinions, personal experiences with running the stock cam, problems with the combo, etc.

I thought I provided enough information, sorry

Your combo looks great to me. It can sure use a cam, but don't do a custom cam if your gonna make new combo changes down the road. I'm sure its still making a ton of power with the stock camshaft. With a new cam, dont forget good valve springs to match. Theres also the chance for some idle surging, but with a combo like that i'd be sure to pick up a tuning device and a wideband and street tune it.

Grn92LX said:
Your combo looks great to me. It can sure use a cam, but don't do a custom cam if your gonna make new combo changes down the road. I'm sure its still making a ton of power with the stock camshaft. With a new cam, dont forget good valve springs to match. Theres also the chance for some idle surging, but with a combo like that i'd be sure to pick up a tuning device and a wideband and street tune it.

Exactly the type of repsponce I was looking for.....I have the double valve springs here and Im ready for the cam, just dont want to grind it yet like I said. I think Im going to go with the LM1 with datalogging for now and see where I stand, then grab the PMS.

What type of drving. Highway? In town? drag strip? road racing? All the above? What kind of gears are you running or plan on running? Gears and type of driving are a major factor in what type of cam you will get. For instance, where do you want the car to make the most power. Are you looking for low end torque or do you plan on spinning the motor on the high end? Give Crane or Comp Cams a call and give them your combo. They should be able to head you in the right direction.

My reply is going to be similar to Mikes.
There is no reason to get a custom cam done now if your gonna get one later in the year or next year. now, i think that the proper custom cam will provide you with good driveablity, emissions and great power. Your cam builder just has to know that you want all 3 of those aspects.
Now, if you spend a few $ and get a personal tuner like a used PMS or Tweecer, you will be able to make the driveablity and PROPER tune that you need so that you dont run too much power (if your using a stock block next year).

Just wanted to know the situation you were in. I would go and try the stock cam, maybe with just a set of roller rockers --1.7's. I have seen cars similar to your setup make great power with a good custom tune, 11 seconds no problem.

I wasn't trying to be an a$$hole, it just kind of turned out that way. :bang:

goesquik said:
Just wanted to know the situation you were in. I would go and try the stock cam, maybe with just a set of roller rockers --1.7's. I have seen cars similar to your setup make great power with a good custom tune, 11 seconds no problem.

I wasn't trying to be an a$$hole, it just kind of turned out that way. :bang:

It's cool, ya I have the 1.7's now, and will be running them. I'm going to give it a shot, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks alot - Andrew