Looking to buy a welder. Need Advice

I know nothing about welding but want to learn. I want to buy a mig welder but have no idea what's what when it comes to welders and their quality and options etc...

My dad has an arc welder but it's pretty much useless on thin metals, it burns through everything

So What welder should I look at? I don't want to spend too much money, I need something simple that works.

• Sponsors (?)

whatever you do make sure it's not a flux core mig....they are usless and make a weld that looks like chicken sh-it. We have a Miller Millermatic it uses the gas and we really like it...and you can get a complete setup for around $700 CDN with stand/cart and a few rools of wire. any decent mig that uses gas will be a good one.....I personnaly love to TIG weld but I can Mig good aswell.

look for a Hobart 140. its made by Miller, but costs a little less. unless you plan to weld some serious heavy metal, you only need a 110V welder. makes it easier too, since you wont have to add 220V anywhere. i strongly suggest using a shielding gas and solid core wire, rather than a flux core wire. it is a little more friendly to use, IMO. you dont have the slag from the flux.

i have used miller, hobart, and lincoln welders and all provided satisfactory results. lincoln is probably the most expensive of these three, and hobart being the least expensive.

what do you plan to weld? mild steel only?

no, I don't plan to weld anythnig serious, or make a profession out of it. Things like exhaust, sheetmetal, subframe connectors which I've been meaning to buy.

I know tig is nice but too expensive. Is flux core really that bad? I mean Im not going for show quality stuff. Even $700 is too much for me since this isn't somehting I'll be using daily

I have a flux core welder. Its really a mig but its cheaper when bought without the gauges and tanks. Flux core is good for when your outside welding something in the wind. Sheilding gas would just blow away and the weld would not be sound. I also recommend a MIG welder, I have yet to produce a decent looking flux core weld. My friend who is a welder by profession makes ugly looking welds with the flux core.

I suggest buying a welding book before making a purchase. You'll have a better idea of what suits your needs and wallet.

Welding is fun, unless your laying on your back welding your torque boxs and a peice of red hot metal burns through your shirt and leaves a 1/8 inch deep hole in your chest :lol: :nonono: :lol: at least my torque boxes aren't going anywhere now.

I used my friends lincoln 120v mig with argon gas. Very nice setup. Hopefully i can afford one of my own soon.

My dad has a hobart mig and a Miller tig. The mig was bought used for around 600. Granted both are not 120, but if you get a good deal (and know an electrician) you may want to go for it.

Flux core totally sucks. Stay far away! Trying to weld with a flux core welder will ruin an otherwise good day.

I have used a Miller Millermatic 175 and the Lincoln Electric equivalent (can't remember model name, but very similar ratings to the Miller). I was very impressed with the Miller. It is quite a bit hotter than the Lincoln Electric. The LE wasn't bad, but IMHO, the Miller is the way to go.

That being said, I do own a Lincoln Precision TIG 185, but that's because I got a very nice discount on it through school. It does great for what I use it for.. I still prefer Miller, tho.

Haven't had the opportunity to try Hobart yet.

Oh yeah, get a decent quality auto darkening mask. I know they are more expensive, but especially for learning, it will make your life much easier. Make sure the helment has adjustable darkness levels. If you can't see your work, you can forget about a quality weld.

bigcat said:
look for a Hobart 140. its made by Miller, but costs a little less. unless you plan to weld some serious heavy metal, you only need a 110V welder. makes it easier too, since you wont have to add 220V anywhere. i strongly suggest using a shielding gas and solid core wire, rather than a flux core wire. it is a little more friendly to use, IMO. you dont have the slag from the flux.

i have used miller, hobart, and lincoln welders and all provided satisfactory results. lincoln is probably the most expensive of these three, and hobart being the least expensive.

what do you plan to weld? mild steel only?
This is what I have, I also upgraded it to use gas and it kicks ass, very good investment IMO, welded so far: go kart axle 2x(keep flipping it lol), trailer, wheelbarrow, subframes, several things for friends, exhaust, and the list just gets longer. I also welded up my own cart, too cheap to just buy one so i welded one up out of scrap metal, turned out great. I'll post pics of my setup later.

I have a flux core welder. For home its great. I am a welder by trade so I can weld decent with it, But it took some practice.

I use flux core almost all day at work. I don't see why people find it difficult to get a good quality weld from it. Flux core welds tend to be stronger, with more penetration and usually less brittle thand solid wire. It's usually more difficult to do a nice vertical or overhead weld with however.

Another vote for the Hobart 140..... Didn't know squat about welding myself (5 months ago), it was the best thing I have purchased in awhile. It has already paid for itself.

There are many good welding sites, Hobart has a very helpful how-to forum section.

All in all, I paid $580 for all the welding equip.: Welder w/cart $450 shipped from ebay, welding helmet $50 from Harbor Freight, welding tank $60 again on ebay and the welding wire $20 from Harbor Freight

Well,I have a good bit of TIG expeniance and some MIG,but right now I got a Linclon 115V flux core welder.I can make a decent weld with it,and the slag it produces is fairly light,I can usualy get it off with a wire bruch and a file if it a small piece Im working on.Its very handy for tacking pieces in place,plus I can get a MIG conversion kit for it if I wanted to.

Currently,Im looking for a used TIG,something like a Miller Syncrowave 250 or the Linclon equilavent (I like Linclons foot pedals, easier to press and controls the arc more precise,IMO).

Roland69 said:
whatever you do make sure it's not a flux core mig....they are usless and make a weld that looks like chicken sh-it.

I just welded up my friends whole engine bay with a gas-less flux core mig welder and as long as i kept the metal clean, i was able to get some damn good welds with that thing. "It's not the arrow, its the indian." hehe

I too am looking to purchase a mig. I friend of mine swears by the Miller welders since the voltage is infinitely variable unlike some of the other ones where you only get 4 settings. They are expensive but I am sure I will use it alot once I get it!!