Looking to buy a welder. Need Advice

• Sponsors (?)

Roland69 said:
whatever you do make sure it's not a flux core mig....they are usless and make a weld that looks like chicken sh-it.

mabye you just can't flux core:p

anyways, it really depends on if you have access to just a 110v outlet, or a 220. if you can only work with a 110v, then one of those Lincoln's at home depot should work fine.

badhorsie said:
I too am looking to purchase a mig. I friend of mine swears by the Miller welders since the voltage is infinitely variable unlike some of the other ones where you only get 4 settings. They are expensive but I am sure I will use it alot once I get it!!

You really dont need infinately adjustable arc volts, im a TIG welder for Stainless Works (performance exhaust) with some MIG here and there. For what you want to do, I suggest you try to get a solid core MIG setup with the correct gas (there are a few different mixes) and unlike flux-cored, you can switch the wire to weld on stainless too.

I have just a 110V household Harbor freight flux cored gasless welder that is a 90amp output, i use it for my exhaust system and other things, the tensile strength for the wire is 71 KSI which is very strong. Flux cored takes more skill to get a nice bead, but with practice it will look just fine, dont let the others on here with little experience steer you away from flux-cored.

You can only weld outside with a solid core/gas wire welder or with a TIG in winds up to about 5 mph, but with flux cored you can wled outside with winds up to 50 mph (im not kidding) and still be shielded. Flux cored has its place and i bought the welder for only $119, has been working for 2 years and producing some great welds.

:)

ExplodingGopher said:
You really dont need infinately adjustable arc volts, im a TIG welder for Stainless Works (performance exhaust) with some MIG here and there. For what you want to do, I suggest you try to get a solid core MIG setup with the correct gas (there are a few different mixes) and unlike flux-cored, you can switch the wire to weld on stainless too.

I have just a 110V household Harbor freight flux cored gasless welder that is a 90amp output, i use it for my exhaust system and other things, the tensile strength for the wire is 71 KSI which is very strong. Flux cored takes more skill to get a nice bead, but with practice it will look just fine, dont let the others on here with little experience steer you away from flux-cored.

You can only weld outside with a solid core/gas wire welder or with a TIG in winds up to about 5 mph, but with flux cored you can wled outside with winds up to 50 mph (im not kidding) and still be shielded. Flux cored has its place and i bought the welder for only $119, has been working for 2 years and producing some great welds.

:)

Have you done any aluminum with MIG?

centry welder

i used to weld for a living so i know a little about it i bought a small centry welder from sams club it is the 220v and uses solid wire welds great as long as you us a 5lb roll and not the 10 or 15 ive had it for 8 years now never had a problem with it

MAC'n89Blckstng said:
I tried using a aluminum MIG welder at school but couldnt get a good clean bead out of it, its like mass mayhem in the puddle, it sucked.

How think of piece were your welding?

I heard its better than TIG (as far as production time/cost,and I think strength would be about the same) for thicker stuff. I saw someone welding 3/4" alum with a MIG and the beed looked pretty decent,other than all the splater...

I did some 1/2" steel open root test plate with TIG,lol it really works your wrist.I would much rather have used a MIG,especialy if I were ever have to do an overhead weld.

bluevenom867 said:
Have you done any aluminum with MIG?

Yes, lots...why? Its not hard at all. I sometimes even get "special" projects at work repairing customers aluminum pieces they bring in with my TIG. I'd much rather weld on aluminum sometimes because its kinda tricky and shows how good you really are. And wow 1/2" thick steel plate with a TIG, thats kinda large but doable, Mig would've been a lot better, or even flux cored or stick lol.

ExplodingGopher said:
Yes, lots...why? Its not hard at all. I sometimes even get "special" projects at work repairing customers aluminum pieces they bring in with my TIG. I'd much rather weld on aluminum sometimes because its kinda tricky and shows how good you really are. And wow 1/2" thick steel plate with a TIG, thats kinda large but doable, Mig would've been a lot better, or even flux cored or stick lol.

I started TIG on aluminum,so Im decent with it,I have never tryed it with MIG though.Dont you need a special feed set-up with the spool gun or a Cobra system (the Cobra has 2 drives,on in the machine like normal and a drive in the gun)?

I was using a Miller 350 Snycrowave for that with a large nozzel tourch.You make a 27* bevel on both sides and tach it,then "walk the cup" up the middle while feeding rod stright in.After the first 3 or 4 pass,you got to start rolling the cup and thats when it gets hard on your wrist.I forget exactly,but its like 8 or 9 passes,lol.

You should check your local Tractor Supply Company for local deals as they have been known to have some great prices. I myself bought the Hobart handler 180 as a "managers special". It was a complete setup for a ridiculously cheap price. They apparently were custom setups for tractor supply from Hobart.

Here is a breakdown of what I got...and the price.

Standard hh180 package
welding cart
20 cubic foot tank
2 spools of wire
gloves
flux brush
wire brush
auto darkening helmet

All for a grand total of $ 583.00

Now, considering the welder with the spools of wire sells for ~ $650...and the auto darkening helmet goes for $150 I'd say it was well worth it.

The original number for the deal was TSC sku# 381 0666

I'd call around to see if it's still offered as it's everything you need to start welding.

Also, I'd also go ahead and start researching over at... http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/ as there is a plethora of information there and people more than willing to help.