Losing Coolant?

MustangDanny

Founding Member
May 8, 2001
Lexington, NC
Okay... I need help. I started smelling coolant a few weeks ago and then noticed that my resevoir was a bit low. The dummy light came on for what looked like the coolant level so I top it off with some water. The light went off and that was about a month maybe month and a helf. Well I've still been smelling it here and there and this morning the same dummy light came on again. Is there a known leak spot... should I be very worried?

• Sponsors (?)

If you can smell it, that's usually the best case (not head gaskets). Easiest way to find the leak is to get a Stant pressure tester (or equiv.). Borrow one if you can or buy one for around $80-$100 bucks, you can also test radiator caps with it and they truly pay for themselves with one use.

How much are new radiator caps for the 96-98 Cobras? I think mine is going bad cause every once inawhile I see a small puddle, I mean very small, around the cap and on tops of the plastic surrounding the resevoir.

Well I never have seen a puddle or even drip marks where I park it, so it is a slow leak. Every since I first started smelling the coolant, I've been looking closely to see if I could see any signs of leaks, but nothing yet. A pressure test might be a good idea. Doesn't AutoZone lend out those pressure testers free?

I was under my car today changing the oil and noticed coolant by the front of the oil pan gasket. It had some on the sway bar right underneath where the coolant was on the oilpan gasket. I also noticed a geary sound while at idle (sound goes away under any rpms... but probably just drowned out by the exhaust/engine noise). I'm thinking my water pump may be going. Only 66,000 miles... is that likely? If not where would that coolant be coming from? Is the water pump hard to swap out on these Cobra motors?

I have heard of some people having to replace their water pumps at 40k miles so it may be the problem (it may whine and then show coolant from the weep hole). I had a slow leak myself (could smell it, but no external leak visible) and I had two dealerships test it. Finally (after about 2 hrs. total time spent looking) the second shop found that the upper radiator hose was not clamped on tight enough. It pressure tested fine and then he finally found the slight leak. A dealership would charge you 2-2.5 hours of labor to replace the water pump. You can buy it cheaper on www.fordpartscheap.com (i think that's the right site)