lowering the II rearend

kcobra302

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2000
latham ny
just before the big server crash, there was a thread running about lowering the rear of a II. i don't recall there being any one agreed upon scenerio.

i am looking for opinions on how to properly drop the rear 1" to 2". suspension travel and pinion angle will be taken into consideration and any type of air bag suspension can be ruled out at this time.

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Let's see:

1.Lowering blocks between the spring and shock plate.
2,.Shorter shackles, but that does alter the geometry of the suspension.
3.Re-arch the springs or ends or both.

I've used the first two. Just remember this pushes the tire up in the wheel well so if your backspacing is off you could rub the inside or have the tire tear into the fender lip.

Dave

cobra_2_76 said:
Let's see:

1.Lowering blocks between the spring and shock plate.
2,.Shorter shackles, but that does alter the geometry of the suspension.
3.Re-arch the springs or ends or both.

I've used the first two. Just remember this pushes the tire up in the wheel well so if your backspacing is off you could rub the inside or have the tire tear into the fender lip.

Dave

Dave,

For number 1, don't the lowering blocks need to be between the spring and the axle housing?
For number 2, NAPA lists 2 different shackle lengths on their website for replacements. One is 3" long and the other is 4" long between bolts. For those with 4" long shackles, a change to the 3" long shackle would help.

1badII said:
Lowering springs from Racer Walsh.

+1

Or have a set of lowering springs built at your local spring shop. I've found good spring shops surprisingly reasonable.

Using lowering blocks or shackles may cause problems that may not be immediately apparent.

Some threads survived the server crash.

kcobra302 said:
the blocks sound like an easy "fix" but i have talked with people that have used them without incident.

And alot of people don't know an 'incident' when it's staring them in the face.