LTD brake swap?

badazz68stang

Mar 28, 2006
when i bought my car the previous owner included a LTD front disc brake set up. including everything to switch it over, booster, bew MC, lines proportioning valve, rotors, calipers. and all that good stuff. what im askin is has anybody ever heard of this swap, if so about how long am i lookin at to complete the swap over and with what degree of dificulty.

• Sponsors (?)

If it's anything like the Granada swap, it'll take a Saturday if you have the right tools (you may have to cut the hardline and do a double flare, so you might need a flaring tool). Pretty straight forward. Just make sure to bench bleed your MC before install!

Any idea on what year LTD. I have a set of 67 LTD discs and Kelsey Hayes calipers that I pulled from the junkyard the other day that is essentailly the Boss 302 Trans Am setup. Now if that's what you have:nice: :nice: :nice:

you need to use the stock drum brake hubs with the ltd rotor hats and you'll need a special caliper bracket. if you don't have the caliper bracket the only place that i know of that sells them is Cobra Automotive and they are like 300 bucks for the pair or you could have some custom made. if you don't have the brackets and don't want to spend the cash i'll buy the rest of the parts from you.

brakes

bnickel beat me to it, but swapping the rotor and hubs (2 piece design on the LTD) is the way to go. I had to beat the crap out of the wheel studs to seperate them but they came apart and fit my 66 hubs perfectly, just need to find replacement studs. I'll second bnickel's offer on purchasing the rotors and calipers if you don't use them or maybe trade you for the Granada setup I'm pulling off the car to use the LTD brakes in place of.

bnickel, what do you mean by rotor hats.
tweet, am i understanding that you did the LTD swap to your 66 hubs? if so how much work would be involved in swappin it to my '68. also, make me up a trade offer for the granada set up and maybe some pics. thanks.

badazz,
bnickel was a little off in calling it a rotor hat, in this case it's actually the entire rotor. It needs to be seperated from the LTD hub by removing the wheel studs the tapping the rotor off the hub. My rotors came off as I was using a BFH to "gently" :rolleyes: remove the studs. I bought new studs and used them to attach the rotor to my 66 hubs, should be the same for your 68 hubs. Press the new studs in, don't beat them with a hammer:nono:. If your interested in the Granada setup shoot me a PM and we'll discuss a swap.

What bnickle and tweet66 are talking about is correct. You have basically a trans am brake setup. (BTW calipers and rotors are available from O'reilly)
It's a proven product and works great with either the 66 or 70 drum brake spindles. (Don't know about others) You'll need a Cobra Automotive bracket ($$$$$ as mentioned) and bearings to fit whatever spindles you come up with.

I'm putting them on a 68 as we speak, with a couple more modifications that will only confuse the issue.

Yes they will work, and if you don't want the pieces, you can easily sell them.

tweet66 said:
badazz,
bnickel was a little off in calling it a rotor hat, in this case it's actually the entire rotor. It needs to be seperated from the LTD hub by removing the wheel studs the tapping the rotor off the hub. My rotors came off as I was using a BFH to "gently" :rolleyes: remove the studs. I bought new studs and used them to attach the rotor to my 66 hubs, should be the same for your 68 hubs. Press the new studs in, don't beat them with a hammer:nono:. If your interested in the Granada setup shoot me a PM and we'll discuss a swap.

actually if the rotor and hub are 2 seperate pieces then you would have a hub and a rotor hat. an entire rotor would be have the hub as an integral part of the rotor and not as a seperate piece.